Greeks buy dates at auction for charity

The Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc., Mu Beta Chapter “brought sexy back” with a date auction in the Marvin Center Friday night.

The second annual auction featured 30 participants from eight of the nine National Pan-Hellenic Council chapters and one Multicultural Greek Council chapter. Contestants included students and alumni, as well as Greek-letter group members from NPHC and MGC chapters at other local universities. This year’s theme for the event was “Bringing Sexy Back.”

Whitney West, president of Delta Sigma Theta, said more than 200 people responded to an online event invitation used to advertise the auction.

“The event went really well and we managed to raise money for a good cause,” West said.

Audience members who chose to bid purchased paddles to make their bids and also entered them in a raffle for prizes. The minimum bid was set at $10, and participants could override the bidding process by automatically buying a date at $40. GWorld and cash were accepted as forms of payment. Overall, the event raised $1,100, West said.

The Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Association hosted a similar date auction two weeks ago as part of Greek Week.

Delta Sigma Theta plans to donate money raised from the event to the Whitman-Walker Clinic of Washington, D.C. The clinic is a non-profit organization dedicated to serving the District’s African-American community affected by HIV/AIDS.

The auction’s emcees, juniors Fade Adetosoye and Charles Basden, introduced contestants and regulated bidding while providing commentary. The two said they aimed to increase audience enthusiasm and participation, while getting the highest bids for the contestants.

Each contestant was introduced along with a short description of their interests, musical tastes and favorite activities. The first contestant and President of La Unidad Latina, Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity, Inc., Toni ‘Andrew’ Tonioli, a junior, described himself as the “Italian Romeo who can make all your dreams come true.”

“I’ve never ever experienced something like that in my life,” said sophomore Jennifer Mcleod, after Nathaniel Turner, a contestant from Bowie State University, unexpectedly ate a plate of whipped cream off of her lap. Afterward, Adetosoye and Basden reminded the contestants to “respect the audience members” and keep it PG-13.

“[The date auction] was enjoyable,” sophomore Tobi Alamutu said. “It brought a lot of people together to create a great sense of community.”

Sophomore Bukky Olowude agreed that it was a “fun and interesting time.” Olowude had “purchased a date as a birthday present for a friend,” she said.

The event also featured a choreographed dance performance from GW’s hip-hop dance troupe, Capitol Funk. At the end of the date auction, the chapter hosted an after-party in the Marvin Center. Audience members that had purchased dates received free admission.

Delta Sigma Theta plans to participate in various upcoming events like the Help the Homeless Walk-a-thon on Saturday, as well as a Sister-to-Sister Dialogue on Nov. 20. The chapter also plans to host Studying with Deltas in December.