WEB UPDATE: Marvin Center food venues to open before classes begin

Posted July 25, Tuesday, 9:20 p.m.

Construction that began earlier this month on renovations to Marvin Center food venues is on schedule to be completed before fall classes begin, said Nancy Haaga, director of Auxiliary and Institutional Services.

Marvin Center food venues are under new management after the departure of Aramark in June. Haaga said construction started after the last Colonial Inauguration ended in early July. Sodexho, the University’s new food-service provider, decided to revamp the majority of food venues on the ground, first and fifth floors of the Marvin Center.

Accompanying the change in food venues is an increase in the minimum amount of Colonial Cash freshmen are required to have. Haaga said the mandatory starting balance rose from $3,000 to $3,400 per year, “to more adequately cover the cost of the average eater.” She added that the University is not increasing the minimum starting balance for sophomores, juniors or seniors.

Major changes include the addition of Quizno’s, Chick-fil-a, an all-you-can-eat cafe and a sports bar-style restaurant with alcoholic beverages in the Hippodrome.

District Market is permanently leaving the ground floor and the space will return to University use. A smaller version of the market will occupy the former spot of Hot n’ Not on the first floor.

The cafeteria-style J Street Cafe will offer a 50-meal dining plan for $375, or $7.50 per meal, and a 100-meal plan for $699, or $6.99 per meal, according to a University press release. Unused meals will roll over between the fall and spring semesters, but disappear before summer break begins.

Matt Lindsay, assistant director of Media Relations, added that J Street Cafe will have one-meal purchases for people without the pre-paid dining plan.

Sodexho officially took over operations for Aramark on June 1, which marked the beginning of a 10-year contract it has with the University. Sodexho won its contract after Aramark opted to terminate its contract early in the wake of declining profits.