Serving the GW Community since 1904

The GW Hatchet


The GW Hatchet

Serving the GW Community since 1904

The GW Hatchet

Sign up for our twice-weekly newsletter!

York fire damages one apartment

A fire on the first floor of The York apartment building at 20th and F streets severely damaged a room in the building late Tuesday night.

Alan Etter, D.C. fire department spokesman, said Wednesday that the fire was started by a candle left burning on a shelf in the apartment. He said no one was injured from the fire and that there was $3,500 worth of damage to the apartment.

Firefighters arrived at the scene around 11:30 p.m. Tuesday. Fire trucks lined the surrounding streets, and hoses were unwrapped and brought into the building to combat the flames.

“Everything in the apartment was damaged,” Lt. Jonathan Skursky of the fire department said at the scene.

The fire department saved two cats from the burning room.

“The cats were trying to get out of a busted window, and one of our men got them out,” Skursky said.

Laetita Cornbrinck, a resident on The York’s eighth floor, said she opened her door and smelled smoke, grabbed her cat and went downstairs.

“This was real smoke,” she said.

“When I came down the stairs, there was a lot of smoke coming from the first floor, and it was pretty clear that there was a fire,” said Jason Paral, a second-year law student and seventh floor resident.

Torfinn Harding, a resident of The York who works at the World Bank, said residents in the building seemed to remain calm despite the blaze.

“At first I thought it was a regular drill. By the time I came down I saw people taking it seriously. I knew that it was real, but people were still calm,” Harding said.

-Prerna Rao

More to Discover
Donate to The GW Hatchet