New ranking and other rants

Blogging from my home in Stamford, Conn., away from the madness that is Foggy Bottom. So GW has moved up to 13 in the rankings after handily beating its first eight opponents. Definitely a big move for the program but a little misleading. This team would’ve easily beaten the same opponents last year but this year, the hype is on GW’s side. Look at some of the teams GW is ahead of.

Boston College did not lose this week and we leaped ahead of them. Texas has been playing poor and deserves the drop, no complaints there. I’ll leave Maryland alone because of the uproar I caused last time when I wrote about them. The 5-2 Indiana Hoosiers beat Kentucky and has Charlotte on deck. Do the Colonials deserve it? At 8-0, probably. But over these opponents, the converse could be argued.

I’m going to make a brash prediction and say that if GW tops N.C. State and Temple on the road, they will be a top 10 team. You think being No. 13 is unreal, wait until GW is top 10. That ranking will be deserved. Playing in Raleigh and Philadelphia will be a true test of this GW team that is looking for a “special season.”

For the Hatchet, it will present an interesting situation. As the only campus news source that covers GW full time, we will have to bring our coverage to the next level if GW stays undefeated. Some trips to Duquesne and St. Bonaventure may be in order.

Keep up the commenting. We love responding.