‘Best Week Ever’ draws big laughs

VH1’s live version of the cable network’s hit show “Best Week Ever” had a sold-out Lisner Auditorium crowd in laughing fits Monday night.

“Best Week Ever” cast members Christian Finnegan, Paul Scheer, Danielle Schneider and Sherrod Small performed individual stand-up comedy acts in front of the 1,500-person audience. Panelists also performed trademark segments of the VH1 show, which prompted GW to theme Welcome Week the “Best Welcome Week Ever.”

“(Before the performance) I heard the show was very funny,” freshman Tom Levy said. “I told friends that I liked the ‘Daily Show,’ and they told me ‘Best Week Ever’ was similar, with satirical comedy about what’s going on in the world.”

“Best Week Ever,” which began airing in 2004, features comedians and pseudo-celebrity panelists who chronicle and comment on the latest in pop-culture and celebrity life. Monday night’s live version wasn’t taped to air on TV, but is part of a tour that visits different colleges and performance venues.

Finnegan, Scheer, Schneider and Small touched on everything from Britney Spears’ pregnancy to Hurricane Katrina, which ravaged Louisiana this week. The hosts also joked about race, ethnicity, and the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox baseball rivalry.

“The show was funny,” junior Chelsey Megli said. “I like it when people don’t have to be politically correct, and don’t have to be G-rated,” referring to some explicit material that made its way into the show.

During the program’s “Sizzler” segment, “Best Week Ever” panelists took jabs at celebrity headliners such as Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie and Bobby Brown. Later in the show, audience members cheered and booed for music videos by Jessica Simpson, R. Kelly, the Pussycast Dolls and the Ying Yang twins.

And at the end of the night the freshmen of Thurston Hall won the show’s coveted recognition for having the best week ever, beating out competitors such as Motley Crue drummer Tommy Lee, virgins at large and actor Tom Sizemore.

Student Activities Center Coordinator Debra Berger said GW decided to host the show on campus after students expressed interest while visiting the SAC office and in surveys.

“The show is so universal that there is something for everyone,” she said. “(There was) a variety of comedy for the variety of people that make up GW’s culture.”

In the past, SAC and GW’s Program Board have brought performers such as TV personality Mo Rocca, comedian Dave Chappelle and singer John Mayer to campus as part of annual Welcome Week celebrations. This year’s Welcome Week runs from Aug. 27 to Sept. 5.

While students cracked up to the show’s jokes, “Best Week Ever” panelists said they also had fun with the audience.

“The crowd looked smart, young and delicious,” Small said.

Scheer added that the GW audience was more receptive to his jokes than students at Georgetown University, where the comedians performed Sunday night.

Schneider said, “I felt like the people in this crowd were truly fans of the show.”