Valentine’s Day Recipes

Are you trying to impress a certain someone this Valentine’s Day? Do you want to do something special on a budget? Or maybe you just didn’t make dinner reservations for Feb. 14 far enough in advance. Whatever your Valentine’s Day circumstances may be, the best – and most economical – solution is cooking a special romantic dinner in your dorm room or apartment.

And who combines romance and food better than the Italians? OK, maybe the French. But here is a simple dinner menu of Italian food that is easy for anyone to make, plus a dessert all sugar and sweet.

Appetizer: Tomato and Basil Bruschetta
Ingredients:
 1 loaf French bread
 1 garlic clove
(peeled and cut in half)
 8 teaspoons olive oil
 1 tomato (cut into thin slices)
 1 tablespoon fresh basil (chopped)
 salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Slice bread into two halves. Toast it until golden brown, then rub garlic on it while still hot. Drizzle olive oil on the bread and sprinkle salt and pepper. Top with tomato and add the basil on top. Serve immediately.

Main Course: Easy Chicken Parmigiana
(from the Pillsbury Complete Cookbook)
Ingredients:
 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
 1/4 cup unseasoned dry breadcrumbs
 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
 1 tablespoon oil
 1 can (14.5 oz.) Italian-style diced
tomatoes (undrained)

Directions:
Cook the penne, then drain and cover to keep warm. Combine cheese and breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl, mixing well. Coat chicken breast with cheese mixture and heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add chicken and cook it for three to five minutes (until golden brown). Stir tomatoes in skillet with chicken. Reduce heat to low and cover and simmer for 12 to 15 minutes. Serve chicken mixture over penne.

Dessert: Valentine’s Cupcakes or Cake
Ingredients:
 1 box cake mix (mix will call for
additional ingredients such as eggs)
 1 can white frosting
 red food coloring
 cake decorations
 baking cups for cupcakes

Directions:
Bake cupcakes/cake according to the directions on the box. Mix red food coloring into the frosting to make a pink color. Let cupcakes/cake cool, ice with pink frosting and use cake decorations to write a special message to your valentine.

To add some elegance to your meal, serve dinner with your favorite red wine. For those under 21, you can make a mock wine cocktail by mixing white grape juice with a little raspberry syrup.

So, guys, just remember that nothing impresses a woman more than a guy who has put thought and effort into a special occasion. And women, keep in mind that the way to a guy’s heart is through his stomach.