Seniors celebrate model careers

Lindsey Davidson and Erica Lawrence sound like most college seniors. They recall fond memories, talk about lifelong friends made and wonder where the time went. But those common words of reflection are about the only way these women resemble most college seniors.

Lawrence is a member of the GW women’s basketball team’s elite 1,000-point club, while Davidson ranks third all-time in assists and fifth in three point field goals made as a Colonial. They are the only two seniors on a team that went 14-1 in conference play this season and will enter the Atlantic-10 tournament as the clear favorite.

That tournament, however, presents both women with one accomplishment they have never achieved – an A-10 championship title.

Xavier has eliminated GW from the tournament for the past three years, twice in the finals and last year in the second round.

“(I’m) not a big fan of theirs,” Lawrence said. “(I) don’t really like them a lot, but it’s definitely our year and they have a big ‘X’ on their back.”

As the top seed of the tournament, GW would host the championship game next Monday, assuming they make it, and that’s a tantalizing possibility for Lawrence.

“I want (Xavier) here. Anybody else, whatever, but bring them here Monday,” she said.

Davidson would also like one more game against the Musketeers, who handed GW their only conference loss this season in quadruple overtime. If she could change anything about her career, Davidson said it would be the Xavier losses.

“Every time we’ve lost to Xavier, it’s been bitter, no matter where or when,” she said. “It would be awesome to beat them in the tournament this year, in any round.”

Before GW could focus on the A-10 tournament, however, they had to play Richmond on senior day at the Smith Center Sunday. Both players were walked to center court by their families before the game and given their Colonial jersey in a frame.

It was the first time in Davidson’s GW career that the California native’s parents were both at a home game.

“My parents supported me coming 3,000 miles away and they were a large part of my basketball life, and it has absolutely killed them not to see my games. To have them here walking me out, that’s really special for me,” she said.

Lawrence said it never really hit her that it was Senior Day until she saw her parents and sister.

“I had a great time and it was a great crowd and this team was wonderful,” she said.

GW beat Richmond 64-51, though neither player had a storybook game. Davidson only attempted two shots and was held scoreless while collecting six rebounds.

Lawrence had seven points and three rebounds in her first start since Jan. 15.

Head Coach Joe McKeown said the decision to take Lawrence out of the starting lineup this year was a difficult one, but he thought she could give the team an extra lift off the bench. While it would seem a 1000-point scorer would be upset coming off the bench her senior year, Lawrence indicated quite the contrary, prompting McKeown to praise the maturity and leadership qualities that both women possess.

“That’s what we’re going to miss the most, the ability to lead and motivate with their words and their actions,” he said

Davidson and Lawrence will be taking different paths when they graduate. Davidson will be attending graduate school at GW for her master’s in business administration. Ten years from now, she said she’ll either be doing public relations or lobbying for a corporation.

Lawrence is going to take a year off and spend time in her native Nyack, New York with her parents. She’s hoping to attend a veterinary technician school in Colorado after that and have a career working with animals. Both women said they do not envision much basketball in their futures.

For now, though, they have a lot to accomplish. In their freshmen year, GW went to the NCAA tournament, beat UCLA and then lost in the second round. Their sophomore year, they lost in the first round of the NCAA tournament. Last year, they lost in the second round of the NIT.

“We’re going to get back to the tournament,” Davidson said. “I see good things happening for us and I think we’re going to go deep.”

As the Colonials head into post-season play and try to get back in the NCAA brackets, McKeown said the team’s success will rest largely with the seniors.

“They’re both great players,” he said. “They have to go out and have some fun and put this team on their shoulders. We’ll see how far they can carry us over the next few weeks.”

Those few weeks will be the last weeks of basketball for both seniors, but each said they have few regrets.

“All good things do come to an end,” Lawrence said. “This has been the best year of them all.”