Gymnastics team beats Maryland, helps cause for Regionals

With only four meets remaining to post regional-qualifying scores, the GW gymnastics team helped its cause Saturday, posting a 193.950 to beat Maryland in a dual meet at College Park.

The Colonials’ post season hopes depend on their ability to increase their total score in their remaining meets, whether or not they win. To qualify for Nationals, the overall scores from each meet are combined and the top teams in the region move on. Head Coach Margie Foster Cunningham said that since the team will not know if they qualify until the last minute, all her team can do is remain focused and keep fighting.

“Winning meets gives us a great feeling and helps us out, but what Regionals comes down to is the scores and we need to focus on getting higher scores,” junior co-captain Lindsay Parks said.

The team did just that Saturday, beating the Terrapins on vault, bars and beam en route to victory. Junior co-captain Rachel Mann and freshman Heather Kaufman finished second and third, respectively, on vault while senior Melissa Suture and freshman Tiffany Jones tied for fourth on bars.

Kaufman and sophomore Meagan Wilson led GW on the beam in third and fourth place while Mann was the top Colonial on the floor in fourth place.

Mann won her third-straight all-around title with a 38.975, followed by Kaufman’s third-place 38.075.

“Mann’s performance was solid as a rock, she came out as a real leader,” Foster-Cunningham said.

The team competes next Wednesday, March 12 again at College Park against Maryland, University of Pennsylvania and University of North Carolina Chapel Hill.