D.C. tourism shaky after attacks

Posted 6:20 p.m. Nov. 2

By Michelle Gesser
U-WIRE Washington Bureau

Ratan Barun is a taxi driver in Washington, D.C., but these days, he is considering a different line of work. With as few as five fares a day, Barun said his income has been hard hit by the sudden drop in tourism after Sept. 11.

He thinks it will be some time before people feel comfortable returning to Washington.

“If something is broken it takes a long time to fix,” he said. “It just happened and nobody is ready.”

He attributed this decline to more than just timidity on the part of the American public.

“Many people don’t have money and jobs so they don’t come. Also, people are driving more than flying and that’s a problem,” he said. He also said that National Airport contributes heavily to the tourism industry and taxi drivers’ revenue.

“Nothing is moving because of the airport,” he told U-WIRE. “If National had stayed closed Alexandria, Arlington, and D.C. would all be closed.”

Barun realizes he isn’t the only one feeling the economic hit. National Airport has experienced a devastating drop in business and is now working to add flights, passengers, and ultimately badly needed dollars.

Roxanne Ribera has worked at a jewelry stand in National for almost two years.

“Before we used to have more passengers, more customers,” she said. “Right now it’s not like before.I hope it will go back to the way it was.”

Stands selling souvenirs and tour tickets are also suffering as some of the nation’s most popular destinations, like the Capitol, are shut down or have become almost inaccessible.

Most owners were hesitant to talk about the drop in business because for many it conjured too many sad memories.

“It is obvious that business is going to be slow,” said one shop owner who asked not to be identified. “I would rather not talk about something so sad. Hopefully business will get better.”

In a pitch to lure visitors back, the D.C. government offered free Metro rides and restaurant discounts during its “Be Inspired” weekend in early October. Businesses offered special promotions for the weekend. Despite the publicity, the event failed to draw the kinds of crowds local organizers wished would come.

Yet like local officials, President Bush encouraged people to return to Washington and other sites around the country.

“The object of terrorism is to try to force us to change our way of life … and they’re going to fail,” he said during a White House press conference on Oct. 23.

Despite the reassurances from government leaders, most people think that it will take time to return the tourism industry to normal.

Storeowners acknowledged the coming weeks would be difficult for their sales. Many said they expect a more normal flow of traffic as Thanksgiving approaches and more flights are added at National Airport.

Another stand worker at National who wished only to be identified as Samira said she is confident that Washington will soon see a greater number of tourists.

“Things are starting to get better since Sept. 11,” she said. “Now it is better, security is better. People should come and have fun.”