WEB EXCLUSIVE: Brown awaits 76ers first cut

Former GW guard SirValiant Brown will soon find out if he is closer to realizing his NBA dreams. As he battles 19 players for a spot on the Philadelphia 76ers rookie free agent squad, team officials said they like what they see out of Brown.

“He’s quick and he really knows how to play,” 76ers’ Director of Player Personnel Tony DiLeo said, according to Saturday’s Philadelphia Inquirer. “He will have to learn how to play point guard, but we like his upside and potential. Coach (Larry) Brown wanted to get a closer look at him, and that’s why we brought him in.”

Brown has played at 76ers’ camp at College of Osteopathic Medicine since July 11, practicing twice a day. There will be a final workout before the team competes Sunday afternoon against the Baker all-stars at Temple’s McGonigle Hall. Head coach Larry Brown will then decide if Brown is among the 12 players who will travel to Boston to compete in the Shaw Summer League, which runs from Monday through July 22.

Ten teams will compete in the league, and Philadelphia starts out against Seattle July 23.

As many as a handful players from the Shaw Summer League team will be invited to 76ers training camp. But Brown has more options here and abroad.

According to Brown’s mother, Marcella Brown, the guard has received a slew of offers from European teams and from the NBA’s developmental league.

Brown, whose attempt to join NBA ranks appeared a long shot even before he went unselected in the NBA Draft last month, was the NCAA’s leading scorer for most of his freshman season with the Colonials. His scoring average dropped five points in a mostly lackluster sophomore season.