Tennis places second at A-10s

Second-seeded Massachusetts defeated the top-seeded GW women’s tennis team 4-2 in Sunday’s title match to win the Atlantic 10 Tournament in Hamilton, N.J. GW beat Temple 4-2 in the semifinals Saturday to advance to the finals. GW also defeated Dayton 4-0 in the second round, following a first-round bye.

“We’re adapting to second place at the moment,” head coach Jeanne Gengler-Swiacki said.

Although GW entered the tournament with the top seed, Temple was the team to beat because of the return of its top player, Danira Penic, who Gengler-Swiacki called a “world-class caliber player.” Penic was sidelined with an injury during the season, but returned for the tournament.

GW’s No. 1 singles Tracy Wei led 5-2 in the singles match against Penic when the match was called. GW had earned the four points needed for victory with wins in the No. 4, No. 5 and No. 6 singles matches and the No. 2 and No. 3 doubles.
“(Tracy) had all other coaches coming to watch,” Gengler-Swacki said. “It was a beautiful, beautiful match.”

Katarina Stastny won the No. 4 singles, Jen Fisher won the No. 5 singles and Jen Sunshine won the No. 6 singles against Temple. Lindy First and Stastny won the No. 2 doubles while Wei and Nazli Gencsoy won the No. 3 doubles.

In the finals against Massachusetts, Gengler-Swiacki said the Colonials played with heart but dropped key points. Wei, Gencsoy and Sunshine all lost singles matches.

The Colonials swept Dayton 4-0 Friday morning.

On Tuesday, the Colonials will travel to the University of Maryland-Baltimore County to make up a March 7 match that was rained out.