IFC ousts Alpha Epsilon Pi

The Interfraternity Council informed the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity’s national organization that it lost IFC recognition in a letter last week, ending a three-month process to finalize the fraternity’s fate at GW.

A board of GW fraternity presidents voted to remove Alpha Epsilon Pi from the Interfraternity Council last month, following a decision by GW to suspend the chapter for two years after an October hazing violation, IFC President Jared David said.

The March 13 decision comes two months after GW issued a suspension for an altercation on the National Mall in which fraternity members appeared to beat up a pledge, according to Student Judicial Services reports. The fraternity pled guilty to hazing – the group’s second hazing violation committed in a one-year period, said Mike Walker, senior assistant dean of students.

Alpha Epsilon Pi was on disciplinary and social probation at the time of the fight that drew a crowd of Park, Metropolitan and University police officers along with two Federal Protection Service officers. About 23 fraternity members were present, according to judicial records.

“If that had happened to a fraternity in good standing, a suspension probably would not have resulted,” Walker said.

The chapter’s national organization also withdrew recognition of the chapter in February, Walker said.

The actions of the President’s Council are only a formality because IFC rules require the group to remove recognition from any fraternity suspended by GW, David said.

David said the IFC delayed its vote until it received reports about the October altercation from SJS.

David said he hastened the process after he received a letter from GW Feb. 28 questioning why the IFC had not removed recognition from Alpha Epsilon Pi.

In a February telephone conversation with Walker, the national fraternity’s Executive Vice President Sydney Dunn confirmed that the chapter had lost recognition, despite rumors to the contrary, Walker said.

“We’ve shut down everything,” a secretary at the fraternity’s national headquarters said Wednesday.