News Briefs

Student leaders gather at `Executive Hour’

The Student Association and the Student Activities Center sponsored “The Executive Hour” Saturday night in the Marvin Center Colonnade Gallery.

The event, organized by SA Vice President of Student Activities Matt Kernkraut to bring together GW student and administrative leaders, was open to executive board members of all registered student groups.

The evening focused on sharing ideas and giving student leaders information about resources available to them, such as Web page design workshops and leadership training.

“Taking care of leaders as people is very important,” Kernkraut said.

The Student Leadership Conference Oct. 3 will be open to all students.

The GWitch Project, a retreat for executive board members modeled after “The Blair Witch Project,” will be held Oct. 22-23.

-Phil Longo

SASStival provides afternoon of fun and games

GW students and Student and Academic Support Services administrators gathered Friday afternoon for “food, fun and camaraderie,” according to a University press release.

The third annual SASStival was held on the Mount Vernon campus and included music, games, giveaways, entertainment, amusement rides and a special hippo guest, according to a University press release.

Touch football and a game of Frisbee highlighted the event.

– Thomas D’Alauro

GW professor unveils new study

GW’s Aviation Institute Director Darryl Jenkins and Northwestern University Professor Robert Gordon released a new study disputing the notion of “hub premiums” at a press conference Thursday.

According to a press release, hub-city residents pay higher fares for air travel in and out of the hub than travelers on the rest of the system. Hub-city residents live in a city in which a network carrier controls a major share of hub traffic. The new study shows evidence of modest hub discounts. The professors developed this new perspective as the first research team to look at airline proprietary pricing data, according to a press release.

– Theresa Crapanzano