Welcome Week kicks off `99 fall semester

Administrators are targeting the largest freshman class in recent history as they prepare for Welcome Week, organizers said.

But Welcome Week Coordinator Ian Zeitzer said organizers are trying to plan something for everyone, including upperclassmen and graduate students.

The highlight for freshmen will be George’s Washington Welcome, which will serve as convocation, according to a memo from Amy Feldman, coordinator for Leadership Development and Special Events. Organizers in University Special Events will plan the new convocation but were unavailable for comment.

Zeitzer said the week’s activities should introduce freshmen to the University.

He said activities will be similar to past Welcome Weeks. The week will include Movie on the Quad, Comedy Night and a coffeehouse night at Xando. University Police will host an open house and the Student Activities Center will have a barbecue.

He also said coordinators are looking into the possibility of hosting a concert.

The Graduate and Professional Student Association will work with SAC to organize programs specific to graduate needs, Zeitzer said.

Organizers are toying with the idea of planning an event before the University’s official move-in day for students who arrive to campus early, Zeitzer said. Otherwise, Welcome Week will take place Aug. 21 to Aug. 29, he said.

The Program Board will host Fall Fest during Welcome Week, Zeitzer said. He said the week should fulfill the needs of all students as they begin the fall semester.

“We’re going to try and have many fun activities, so people will wish Welcome Week was every week,” Zeitzer said.