Trachtenberg award honors professors

Professors Mary Cheh, Isabel Vergara and Lee Sigelman will receive the Oscar and Shoshana Trachtenberg Prize Sunday at Commencement for their outstanding dedication to the University.

Cheh, a law professor, said she is probably getting recognition for the extra help she has given her students and colleagues.

“This is where people who can’t say `no’ end up,” she said.

Cheh said she is most proud of a policy change she encouraged, a project of which she said most people are unaware. She said she helped students revise University policy to insure people would not be discriminated against on the basis of sexual orientation.

Cheh participated in many GW committees as a result of her commitment to the Faculty Senate, including the Committee on the Status of Women Faculty and Librarians and the Committee on the Revision of the Grievance Process. She also has served as chair or member of numerous GW Law School groups, according to a University press release.

Isabel Vergara, assistant professor of Spanish, holds a Ph.D. from Cornell University and taught at the Universidade Federal do Rio de Janierio in Brazil for three years before arriving at GW in 1989, according to a University press release.

Political Science Professor Lee Sigelman will receive the Trachtenberg Prize for Faculty Scholarship. Sigelman ranks among the nation’s most prolific and most widely cited political scientists, according to a University press release.

He chairs the GW political science department. Before coming to GW, Sigelman served on the faculties of Texas Tech University and the universities of Kentucky and Arizona.

Sigelman authored numerous books and scores of articles about various aspects of American politics, “placing special emphasis on public opinion, mass communication, voting and elections,” according to a University press release.

Sigelman received a doctorate in political science from Vanderbilt University.