Colonials win four of last seven games

The GW baseball team (26-27, 10-8 A-10) has won four of its last seven games, but still sits in third place in the Atlantic 10 West Division.

Unless the Colonials reach second place in their division, they will not make the conference’s postseason tournament, which starts May 20.

GW finishes up its season in conference play against Duquesne with a doubleheader Friday at noon and a single game Saturday at noon at Barcroft Park.

GW 8, William & Mary 7

The Colonials trailed 6-4 entering the top of the ninth Saturday at Plumeri Park in Williamsburg, Va. The College of William & Mary (29-21) surrendered four runs in the ninth to give the game to the Colonials. Pitcher Ari Zagaris (5-6) got the win.

GM 12, GW 6

The Colonials’ three-game winning streak ended Friday, as visiting George Mason (24-21-1) soundly defeated GW. The Patriots pounded six home runs and four doubles in the game and tagged GW pitcher Bryan Beggs (5-3) for six runs in five innings. First baseman Joe Beichert went 2-for-3 with a home run and a double for the Colonials. Beichert’s 20th home run tied a GW record for home runs in a single-season.

GW 12, Towson 5

The Colonials won their third consecutive game defeating Towson University in solid fashion. The Colonials’ 15-hit attack was led by Mike Roberts, who went 3-for-5, including a triple and a home run. Dan Rouhier went 3-for-3 with a home run and a double.

GW 9, Xavier 8

GW’s Mike Roberts scored on a Xavier error in the 10th inning as the visiting Colonials won the rubber match of the three-game series May 1 in Cincinnati, Ohio. Xavier led 8-3, but the Colonials cut the lead to 8-5 after Ryan Dacey’s two-run home run in the seventh inning. GW scored three more in the eighth to tie the game. Ari Zagaris’ four innings of one-hit baseball in relief of Tom Baginski shut down Xavier.

GW 13, Xavier 5

Mike Bassett and Joe Beichert combined for five home runs as GW ended its seven-game losing streak, routing Xavier in the second game of a doubleheader April 30. Bassett went 4-for-5 with two solo home runs, a grand slam and six RBIs. Designated hitter Matt Krimmel contributed four hits for GW, including a home run and a double.

Xavier 6, GW 5

The Colonials fell just short to Xavier in the first game of a doubleheader. GW starter Adam Belicic (6-6) went the distance, giving up six runs on nine hits. The Colonials could not overcome an early 5-1 deficit despite a two-run home run by Bassett in the sixth inning.

JMU 9, GW 5

James Madison University scored five runs in the first three innings and three more in the ninth as the visiting Dukes defeated GW. Beichert led the GW offense with two doubles, and Chris Worth gave up six runs over six innings.