Letters to the Editor

Come one, come all

Memories of midterms are still in our heads and the thought of finals will soon be looming over our beds at night. But we’d like to invite you to sit back, relax and put your worries aside. The Thurston Hall Council and its Block Party Committee have been working all semester to come up with the perfect 1999 GW Recipe for Fun.

Once combined, the following ingredients are sure to cure any case of the what-to-do blues:

One giant stage, complete with two DJs spinning the best house, punk, rock and oldies;

Five-story Ferris wheel for you to check out the scenery from up high;

Five carefully selected bands from across the East Coast, playing music to your ears’ content;

A sprinkling of moon bounce, gladiator jousting, dunk tank and carnival rides and games;

A healthy dose of pretzels, cotton candy, hamburgers, hot dogs, veggie burgers, soda and popcorn;

A dash of prizes, T-shirts, cups and more.

After getting all the ingredients together, pre-heat F Street to 75 degrees and add sunny weather conditions.

Be sure to soak a healthy serving of community facilitators and Student Association officials (including president-elect Phil Meisner) in the dunk tank before adding to the mixture.

Stir well, spread out the party mix and bake in front of Thurston Hall. Be prepared to serve thousands, as the fun and excitement will soon become contagious.

We’d like to extend this invitation to each and every one of you. Come join the fun – this Sunday. It all begins at 1 p.m., and we won’t stop rockin’ until after 6 p.m. Food, friends and fun will be plentiful. Special musical appearances by Mudcat Jones, Days, Phillips Head, The Beans and BlueBeat Revue are just a few of the attractions we have planned.

Besides the rides, music and grub, a community service activity focusing on AIDS Awareness Week and a booth from the American Red Cross will be set up to promote volunteer spirit among the Foggy Bottom family.

Co-sponsored by the Program Board, SA, Class Council 2002 and the Residence Hall Association, the 1999 Thurston Block Party has been planned entirely by freshmen, and will set a precedent for all residence hall councils to come.

Don’t miss the fun this Sunday afternoon. Best of all, it’s FREE! We’d love to see F Street packed and ready to party like its 1999!

So grab your friends, stop by, have some lunch, listen to some live music on the main stage, play a few games and take a T-shirt home with you. The Thurston Block Party ’99 will be waiting for you!

-Thurston Block Party Committee: Elizabeth Cox, John Fohr, Tati Hernandez, Matt Kernkraut, Abby Lestition, Julie Radocchia and Kelly Snyder.