CLLC rejects Strong Hall women’s center

GW students trying to establish a women’s center at the University said they were denied the space they requested in Strong Hall.

Ruthie Vishlitzky, a member of the organization trying to set up the GW Women’s Center, said Strong Hall Community Director Anna Cenatiempo informed the group Friday of the Community Living and Learning Center’s decision.

“Anna (Cenatiempo) said she did research of her own about what students in Strong Hall wanted,” Vishlitzky said. “She said they wanted more study space, but we already said we were willing to compromise. We said we would designate study times.”

Cenatiempo declined to comment for this story. Assistant Dean of Students Mark Levine did not return phone calls requesting comment.

Vishlitzky and Heather Hurwitz, another member of the organization, said they are unsure whether Cenatiempo explained all the pertinent information to Strong Hall residents.

“I don’t think it’s right that we never saw any student faces,” Hurwitz said. “We were kept away. It wasn’t right to keep Strong Hall people in the dark. It’s sad that (CLLC) didn’t have the innovation that we did.”

“How do I know what (Cenatiempo) told the students?” Vishlitzky said. “I don’t know she accurately explained to them what the women’s center is going to do or that we will have study hours. I’m just not happy that (CLLC) didn’t let us represent ourselves.”

Strong Hall President Hala Durrah said representatives from CLLC asked her about the importance of study space and discussed the women’s center, but did not say the proposal included scheduling quiet study hours in the center.

“We’re not against the idea, but the study room is important to the students,” Durrah said. “We were informed a while back about the women’s center. It’s not like we were kept in the dark. CLLC, however, did not tell us about the compromise involving study hours.”

Vishlitzky said she also is upset because she feels CLLC knew for some time that it was going to deny the space to the group.

“Anna kept saying to us that `It’s a great idea, we just don’t have the space,’ but (CLLC) has been picking apart our idea all semester,” Vishlitzky said. “If it was just space, and they knew they weren’t going to give it to us, then I wish they wouldn’t have wasted our time.”

Vishlitzky said members of the group met with Mike Gargano, assistant vice president of Student Academic and Support Services, Wednesday to discuss alternatives.

“Mike Gargano mentioned that the University did a survey a couple of years ago, and they realized that we are one of the few universities without a women’s center,” Vishlitzky said. “Those survey results speak for themselves.”

“As a student organization, they’re entitled to space somewhere on the fourth floor of the Marvin Center if there is space available,” Gargano said. “I plan on scouring every feasible location to find a place for them.”

Both Vishlitzky and Hurwitz said Gargano expressed disappointment and surprise about the manner in which the organization was treated by CLLC.

“He was upset, just like we were that we didn’t get to talk to students, that we didn’t even really get to talk to Mark Levine,” Hurwitz said. “(Gargano) wants to know why Mark Levine didn’t talk to us and why (CLLC) discouraged us from talking to students in Strong Hall.”

“When students have questions, we should be there to answer their questions,” Gargano said.

Vishlitzky said she is upset because she feels members of the administration are trying to disregard the group.

“It seems like this whole administration wants us to just go to Mount Vernon, but we’re not going to do that,” Vishlitzky said. “We’re going to look for space in the Marvin Center, and we’ll make this work eventually. We’ll just have to start off a lot smaller than we originally thought.”

Hurwitz said despite the setback, the GW Women’s Center will continue to plan activities.

“We’re still optimistic, and we’re going to stick with the plan,” she said. “It was always our goal to start activities in January. Regardless of whether or not we have space, we’ll continue with activities in January.”