NJ needs McGreevey as next governor

New Jersey will be one of two states electing a governor Nov. 4 to serve into the 21st century. New Jersey’s Democratic Party has nominated Jim McGreevey as its candidate to unseat incumbent Republican Christine Todd Whitman.

While believing in and practicing fiscal responsibility, Jim McGreevey believes that government can and should provide necessary services to the people, which Whitman has neglected. He wants to give New Jersey the opportunity to reach its economic and social potential. Specifically, he wants to create jobs, protect the environment, improve school systems and control automobile insurance. Governor Whitman has either neglected these areas or actively moved in the opposite direction.

Republicans nationwide have bragged that Whitman kept her promise to cut state taxes by 30 percent. However, to pay for that, local taxes have increased significantly and important programs such as education and environmental protection have been slashed. Jim McGreevey hopes to restore these programs and give the people of New Jersey the tools they need and deserve to advance themselves.

For these reasons, it is absolutely necessary to put Jim McGreevey in the governorship of New Jersey. Be sure to procure your absentee ballot and vote on Nov. 4!

-The writer is a sophomore majoring in political science and history.