Officials recognize Election Day as University holiday
By Brooke Forgette, Contributing News Editor • August 2, 2024
CCAS hires 10 faculty members ahead of fall semester
By Tyler Iglesias, Assistant News Editor • August 2, 2024
Circulator bus to phase out service by end of 2024
By Molly St. Clair, Assistant News Editor • August 2, 2024

D.C. locals took to the streets to celebrate President Joe Biden’s election victory in 2020.

GW will consider this year’s Election Day on Nov. 5 and presidential election days going forward University holidays, officials announced on Tuesday.

The University will not hold synchronous classes and offices will be closed to allow students, faculty and staff members to vote in the election, the release states. The announcement follows a two year-long effort by members of the Student Government Association to have officials adopt Election Day as a holiday to promote civic engagement among students.

“Make the most of your Election Day holiday and make your voices heard,” University President Ellen Granberg and Provost Chris Bracey said in the release.

The announcement adjusted the last day of classes to Dec. 10 and shortened the final examination period by one day to accommodate the holiday, according to the release.

SGA Vice President Ethan Lynne said he and SGA President Ethan Fitzgerald had “conversations” with GW’s administration to advocate for the holiday. Lynne said most students he spoke to during his recent vice presidential campaign brought up their desire to have Election Day off, noting that GW is considered one of the most civically engaged universities.

Lynne said he’ll be driving two hours to his hometown to vote, adding that “several” of his friends have said that the holiday allows them to travel home to vote. During the 2022 midterm elections, more than 20 out-of-state students reported difficulties receiving and mailing their absentee ballots due to delivery delays and mailbox issues at GW Mail and Package Services.

“Having election day off and helping to encourage more students to go home and vote, or they actually take voting seriously if they need to, is a huge step,” Lynne said.

Dan Saleem, a former SGA senator, said he proposed the Election Voting Day Act last year which pushed for “academic accommodations” like virtual classes and no assessments on Election Day. He said he met with Dean of Students Colette Coleman who suggested distributing free hot chocolate and cookies in November to promote resources like GW Votes, a nonpartisan coalition promoting voter registration for information.

Saleem added that GW has a large population of students in the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences and Elliott School of International Affairs because they believe in the power of politics and government.

“At a school, especially like GW, voting rights and accessibility to voting on Election Day takes the top cake,” Saleem said.

Molly St. Clair contributed reporting.