Officials name first executive director of Global Food Institute

U.S. Department of Agriculture
Stacy Dean will serve as the executive director beginning in July.

Officials named Stacy Dean the first executive director of the Global Food Institute last week.

Dean, the former deputy under secretary for the U.S. Department of Agriculture Food, Nutrition and Consumer Services from January 2021 to June 2024, will join the Global Food Institute as the inaugural Carbonell Family Executive Director in late July, according to a University release. As executive director, Dean will work to amplify the institute’s mission of “changing the world through the power of food” by implementing strategic initiatives, new programs and partnerships, according to the announcement.

José Andrés, a chef and restaurateur, founded the Global Food Institute at GW in May 2023 with goals to research and improve global food security, sustainability and distribution. The institute utilizes cross-disciplinary research and teaching to educate students to approach their field through the “lens of food” and offer solutions to address hunger, poverty and public health.

“I am honored to join the Global Food Institute at this critical moment,” Dean said in a University release. “Together, we will pave the way for innovative solutions to food insecurity, malnutrition, climate change and the myriad global challenges we face. Our collective efforts will turn our aspirations for a more equitable and sustainable food system into reality.”

As the former deputy under secretary for the USDA, Dean worked to invest in local and regional food systems, collaborate with federal agencies to advance nutrition policy and increase nutrition assistance for individuals, according to the release.

Prior to her work at USDA, Dean was the vice president for food assistance policy at the Center Budget and Policy Priorities, a nonpartisan research and policy institute that improves policies to increase access to necessary resources for all individuals, according to the release.

“When we launched the search for an executive director, we wanted to identify a visionary leader and food expert who would be able to lead the Global Food Institute into its next phase,” Provost Chris Bracey said in the release. “Stacy has been on the forefront of food policy issues for decades and is an excellent choice to provide leadership in tackling the world’s most challenging food issues.”