Three alumni join Board of Trustees
By Hannah Marr, News Editor • June 21, 2024

Campus spaces remain fenced, guarded as officials evaluate campus safety

Daniel Heuer | Assistant Photo Editor
Fencing by University Yard still stands nearly a month later.

More than a month after the Metropolitan Police Department cleared the pro-Palestinian encampment in University Yard, the plaza remains fenced off and guarded.

Immediately following police’s clearing on May 8, officials blocked off most campus spaces including U-Yard, Kogan Plaza and Anniversary Park behind tall metal fencing. In the weeks following, officials have begun opening Kogan’s barricades during the day, while U-Yard and Anniversary Park remain locked at all times.

Officials have also maintained a security guard presence in Kogan and U-Yard around the clock and continue to station security guards in buildings that are accessible by both courtyards.

A University spokesperson said the University plans to maintain the fencing while officials assess safety needs but declined to comment if officials have a date for when the barriers in Kogan and U-Yard will be removed.

“The fencing and increased security presence remain in place while the University evaluates safety needs going forward,” the spokesperson said.

The spokesperson said workers recently resodded U-Yard, and it remains closed to ensure the “successful replacement” of the grass. Splotches of dead grass left behind from the shade of tents dotted U-Yard after MPD cleared the encampment. The spokesperson added that Kogan’s gates are open during the daytime for “community use” but did not specify if officials will begin opening U-Yard during the daytime after the grass is restored.

Demonstrators set up an encampment in U-Yard for 13 days to demand officials disclose all investments and academic partnerships, drop all charges against pro-Palestinian student organizations and divest from companies supplying arms to Israel. Local police cleared the protest on its 14th days and arrested more than 30 people.