Three alumni join Board of Trustees
By Hannah Marr, News Editor • June 21, 2024

Annual Green Move-Out donations drop from record levels

Members+of+Kappa+Alpha+Theta+moving+into+the+second+floor+of+Strong+Hall.+
Members of Kappa Alpha Theta moving into the second floor of Strong Hall.

Items and goods donated to local charities and nonprofit organizations during residence hall move out at the end of the semester surpassed 41,500 pounds, according to a report from the Office of Sustainability.

The report states that 83 volunteers participated in Green Move-Out, which was established in 2014 by the Office of Sustainability to decrease waste during spring move-out, and that 24,000 pounds of clothing, shoes and bedding were included in the total donations. The number of pounds donated during this year’s Green Move-Out fell 27 percent compared to last year’s record set at more than 57,000 pounds.

University spokesperson Julia Metjian said the Green Move-Out program began to work with a foam mattress recycler to divert more than 200 mattress toppers from landfill. Metjian said a portion of donations were stored to be used in GW’s Reuse Market — a free pop-up store for students to choose items during move-in which will occur on August 19 on the Foggy Bottom Campus. She added that the rest of the donations went to nonprofit organizations like The Salvation Army Adult Rehabilitation Center and St. Mary’s Court.

“The primary goals of Green Move-Out remain consistent from year to year: Divert as many discarded, reusable items as possible away from landfill and efficiently distribute those items to community partners,” Metjian said in an email.

Metjian said the Office of Sustainability filled five 20-foot long shipping containers with “common residence hall essentials” like rugs and mirrors, three more than the number of containers filled last year. Metjian declined to comment on how much the University saved on disposal fees and labor costs during Green Move-Out this year.