Wine bar on 2200 Penn opens doors
By Ella Mitchell, Contributing News Editor • June 14, 2024

Officials perform summer renovations on Lerner, temporarily change entrance

The Lerner Health and Wellness Center on G St.

Officials are renovating the Lerner Health and Wellness Center this summer to update aging equipment.

A University spokesperson said GW is updating Lerner’s infrastructure this summer by replacing flooring in the main fitness center, adding new equipment throughout the facility, replacing the indoor track and adding mirrors in the P3 level, per students’ requests. Students will temporarily enter the building through the Varsity Place patio instead of the main entrance on G Street as officials install a new entry desk, per an email sent to students Tuesday.

“We support holistic health and well-being, and look forward to investments in campus recreation that support the goal of health for our community,” the spokesperson said in an email.

Officials also closed the Lower Level on Monday and Tuesday and closed the P3 level from June 10 through June 21.

Officials previously closed Lerner for five months in 2022 to perform HVAC updates, upgrade equipment and reconfigure the building’s layout, but after the building’s reopening, students said they struggled to identify any physical changes in the space post-renovation.