Eóighan Noonan: Before you know it

Sage Russell | Assistant Photo Editor

Each year, graduating editors are given 30 final column inches — “30” was historically used to signify the end of a story — to reflect on their time at The Hatchet, published in the final issues of the year.

If all of Earth’s history were compressed into a single day, the whole of recorded human history would be just a few seconds, a blip. This is how I think of my incredible, albeit brief, time on The Hatchet and at GW.

It’s difficult to sift through the commotion of the last three years and drag the most valuable moments to the surface. Still, in my repeated attempts to do so, I find that the memories I made with the people on The Hatchet repeatedly make their way to the forefront of my mind.

I took my first byline in late August of 2022 as I returned to campus to begin my sophomore year. After experiencing difficulty coming out of my shell and getting involved on campus the year prior, I was excited to try my hand at news writing, and even more excited to hear that my first story had a super positive reception from the Volume 119 news team (thank you all for inflating my ego right off the bat).

As a few stories grew into several weeks of sustained progression into my newly adopted interest in journalism, it became evident to all who knew me just how enthusiastic I was about strengthening my writing skills. Then, on a Saturday night over Thanksgiving break, just three months after I wrote my first-ever news story, I was asked to join the staff for Spring 2023 in an editorial capacity.

After an obligatory two days of “mulling it over” had passed (of course I already knew what my answer was) I accepted the offer.

Joining a news team halfway through their tenure together could have been an awkward, uncomfortable or anxiety-inducing experience, but I soon learned that the people I would start seeing more days than not would be some of the best people I’d meet during my time at GW. Whether it was staff on Sundays, reporter meetings or Wednesday story updates, I would gleefully make my way to the townhouse, excited that I had found an environment I loved to work in and people with whom I clicked immediately.

Amidst what was otherwise an emotionally strenuous semester, seeing my new friends on the news team and working on stories each week allowed me to take comfort in a routine and share my interests with a group of motivated and hard-working people. From wine and cheese nights with the notorious “Volume 119 News Girlies,” to fearless voyages (yes) into the GW School of Nursing (and the Ashburn, Virginia Taco Bell), to Hatchet social events that could rival the Beyoncé and Jay-Z Oscars after-party, there was hardly a dull week during my time as an editor.

I had originally planned on studying abroad this semester (Spring 2024), so I did not apply for any yearlong Volume 120 staff positions. But after several hours of poring over DegreeMap late last spring, I realized, to my surprise, that I had nearly completed both of my majors without realizing it, and would be graduating instead. Had it not been for this somewhat last-minute decision to graduate a year early, I would have loved to remain on the news team for Volume 120. Regardless, it has been a joy to see a new class of hardworking student journalists take the helm under an excellent senior news editor (wink wink).

While my presence on staff this year was dimmed compared to last spring, I still take pride in being part of The Hatchet community. I have spent this year trying to be helpful wherever I could, taking on the Director of Development position this semester to help new reporters get their start and hopefully have as great of an experience as I did.

In the year since I first joined Hatchet staff, I have found solace from our fast-moving campus and city in reading and writing stories that allow me to temporarily retreat into other worlds, whether they be between the kind, worn pages of a Virginia Woolf novel, or sprawled on the cold, bright surface of Google Docs. My time as an editor brought my passion for writing into sharp focus, and while I am not entirely sure what form my writing will take in the future, my sentiments toward storytelling have governed many of the decisions I’ve made regarding my life post-graduation.

This fall I am moving to Ireland (yes, yes, back to my roots, etc.) to pursue my passion for English at Trinity College in Dublin where I will earn my master’s degree in modern and contemporary literary studies. I have about a million questions and concerns about what the future holds for me. Still, I am optimistic (one could even say radically optimistic…) that my time at GW has prepared me for whatever might come my way.

While I wish I could sit down and write some grand, sweeping, definite statement about the last three years and what they mean to me, it’s hard to put in writing the moments that have affected me the most deeply. But when I hear the first note of Fiona Apple’s “I Know,” see the light emanating from the windows of JBKO on my way to the metro, or listen as the boom of the Corcoran Hall bell dissolves across Kogan Plaza, the most vivid memories of my time here swell like a balloon, float to the surface, push my heart into my throat and ask me to slow down.

So, for anyone curious, that’s just what I hope to do: slow down. That might sound impossible for those who know me and have experienced my walking habits (slow walkers DNI), but deciding to graduate early accelerated the clock on my time in D.C. quite a bit. Looking back, I often bolted through certain times and forgot to remain present. In this next phase, I hope to be more grounded as I roll like thunder, confidently but carefully, through an unfamiliar yet exciting new chapter of my life.

And for all my buddies who will be at GW next year and beyond: romanticize life in D.C. until the very last moment, belt your favorite song out the window of an Uber racing down Connecticut Ave, and please, take a little too long saying goodbye when you leave your friend’s room, because before you know it, the clarity of these times will be fleeting feelings in moments of acute remembrance of a place you once called home.

To the people who made it possible:

Julia: He has his mother’s eyes…and agent! As my unofficial Hatchet mom, you are the reason I got involved with the paper in the first place! I always admired the constant effort you were putting into both your classes and your work for The Hatchet, especially during my first year when I needed some inspiration to shake out my nerves and get more involved on campus. I was always worried that my academics would suffer if I stretched myself too thin, but you showed me that with dedication and hard work, it was possible to give 100 percent to more than one thing. I knew that when I joined staff I would need to carry on the .fk legacy, and I hope (and think) I’ve done that. But beyond The Hatchet, you helped me navigate GW from the day I arrived first-year up to the moment you graduated. I am so lucky that our paths somehow crossed on Kacey Musgraves stan Twitter (yes…) way back in 2018. You have celebrated all my successes and supported me through the lowest of lows (more times than I care to admit). You witnessed me start as a know-it-all first-semester first-year and awkwardly clamber into adulthood as I realized I didn’t have my life figured out at 18 years old. And now, as a senior with no clue how the last 3 years have already flown by, I am forever grateful to have had such a reliable friend in you, and for your constant support of all my personal and professional endeavors. My last year at GW has been marked by your absence from campus, but I’m lucky you stayed local, and I’ve treasured every moment we’ve gotten to spend together. Our continued friendship is always a guarantee, and I know that even after I leave you will never be more than a phone call away. Here’s to many more incoherent wine-night conversations illuminated by whatever Kelsea Ballerini or Dua Lipa music video we are making the other watch on the TV, and to the inevitable breakdowns occurring later this week during TTPD release, I love you!

Grace: I don’t even know how to put into words how proud of and excited for you I am. To be completely honest (and I think we’ve talked about this before) it’s funny that when I first joined the news team I had no idea if you actually liked me or not LMAO. I get it though, you were sussing out my vibe…well I’m glad it worked out! You have become one of my best friends and someone I am so proud to know. I will always remember and be grateful for the conversations we had last year when I was going through it (eek!). To this day, you are a reliable, thoughtful and extremely loyal friend. And most important of all, you always keep it real as f*ck — well actually, I don’t think I’m allowed to say that! Seeing you go from metro editor to SNE to now preparing for your time as EIC, I have witnessed you stay passionately true to your beliefs while making important, and often tough editorial decisions for The Hatchet. There is nobody I could imagine being more perfect to lead the paper next year. You’ve actually never been wrong a day in your life (many people are saying this!). I wish I could stick around next year to bring you a plain bagel with cream cheese and iced vanilla latte but I think Faith is going to have to take over in that department. I hope you always remember how talented, smart and appreciated you are by everyone around you. I know next year will be a huge success, and because of the time difference I will hear breaking news 5 hours before D.C. and I can let you know in advance (I’m pretty sure that’s how it works…). I love you!

Caitlin: During my time on The Hatchet you have been the person that I’ve worked most closely with, and thinking back on all the memories I made during my time here, your presence in the most memorable (and often funniest) stories is almost a guarantee. I will save everyone the experience of hearing the Ashburn story again, but that day is forever etched in my mind as one of the most absurd and hysterical moments I’ve gotten to experience at GW. Besides that, I wrote some of my favorite stories with you, and also some of the hardest. I am so grateful for the kindness you showed me and how patient you were as I first started and had no idea what I was doing. Beyond that, I can always count on you to laugh the hardest at my jokes and go out of your way to make me and everyone else feel welcome in whatever social situation we are in. You are one of the funniest people I’ve ever met and I don’t know if you even realize how much you make people laugh sometimes. It’s been a pleasure to watch you live it up in Paris and I can’t wait to see what you will accomplish next year. You most certainly have that dog in you (it’s an Irish Setter), and I know you will kill it in the future, I love you!

Nikki: Sister…where to start. First of all, if I had a nickel for every GW Hatchet Volume 119 news editor who took an in-depth scholarly interest in the University’s history with lobotomies I’d have two nickels…well you know the rest. But truly, I’ve always admired how passionate you are about the things and people that you care about. There is never a time that I see you and don’t leave having learned a new interesting fact or tidbit of information about art history or the music you’re listening to (shoutout to our summer frolick playlist). I’ve missed you this semester but I also don’t think there is anyone more deserving of a semester in Greece and I know you are absolutely eating it…oh, she’s taking it. I know I can always nerd out with you about anything and not feel judged so I can’t wait to hear about everything you’ve learned and experienced in Greece, I love you!

Faith: From Sarah Paulson to fart president to Brattle Books employee…you’ve truly accomplished it all at such a young age. I knew you before I joined The Hatchet through the illustrious Jack Parr (let’s see if he reads this) and it was actually Jack who told me that you said everyone was “raving” about my first piece. So I guess we have you to thank for me sticking around! You are truly the ultimate energy-matcher, and I have made some of my best and silliest memories in the times that we got to spend together. I just remembered that we almost lived together this semester and I think for the sake of District House’s infrastructure and all that is holy something prevented that from happening. Seriously though, getting to see you work so hard at what you’re passionate about is part of why I wanted to get involved in the first place, and I am not at all shocked at how far your dedication has taken you. I know The Hatchet will thrive under you and the rest of the management team next year, and I can not wait to see what you accomplish after GW.

Sejal: I am so glad we became friends this year! Our happy hours, debriefs and random Instagram DM conversations have been a highlight of my year, and I will forever be grateful for the time we got to spend getting closer before graduation. You are truly one of the coolest people I’ve ever met, and it feels like every day you accomplish something new that I am in awe of!!! I have the utmost faith that your dedication and commitment will take you extremely far, and I will be tuned in to see everything you accomplish after graduation. You are extremely talented, smart and funny and an all-around great person and friend.

Ianne: My admin and First Ladies queen. The way you constantly balance your responsibilities needs to be studied. Your work ethic and dedication to the things you’re passionate about is truly unmatched, and I know this will serve you, and The Hatchet as a whole, well next year. Watching you lead reporter meetings, edit stories and talk to sources taught me so much of what I know about journalism now, and working alongside you on the admin beat was one of the most rewarding experiences I’ve had during my time at GW. Even though by the end of the semester my love for academics became apparent, writing some of the most interesting stories of my time on The Hatchet with you will always hold a special place in my heart. I am so excited to see where you and the rest of management take The Hatchet next year, I know it will be amazing.

Erika: My early graduation buddy! It has been so awesome to watch you kill it as both student government editor and now metro editor. Last year I was always in awe at your patience and attention to detail covering the SGA and everyone involved. Your kind-heartedness and ability to form meaningful relationships transcends your Hatchet sources, as I don’t think I could name one person who has nothing but good things to say about you. As metro editor, you’ve continued to be one of the most hardworking people I know. You are always a joy to be around, and I’ve loved all the opportunities I’ve had to get to know you whether in a Hatchet capacity or at a party of former vernies and UHPers (I always forget we share those mutuals and I get so excited when I remember you’ll be there). You are truly one of a kind. Keep being you, and I am so excited to see all you do in the future.

Sophia: Getting to know you for two semesters (with a prolonged GAP in the middle while you galavanted around Europe for a few months… I’m still jealous) has been such a pleasure! You are always so fun to hang out with, and I love that you are always down to rally (!!!). You are beyond talented, and whether it be writing stories or taking beautiful photos, I am so excited to see what you get up to next year. I know if there is anyone who will make the most of senior year, it will be you.

Tara: For being the first person to ever edit one of my Hatchet stories, thank you! I still remember your kind words and how motivating it felt to know that someone thought I was doing good work as I explored news writing for the first time. I am so proud of you for all the work you have done after graduation and on the Hill! I hope you always know how thankful I am because even just a few words of encouragement to my scared reporter self helped me ease the transition into my Hatchet editorship.

Rachel & Fiona R: I am SOOOOO excited for you guys to be SNEs next year you don’t understand. Academics always comes out on top literally. But for real, you guys have been such amazing additions to The Hatchet from the very beginning when I got to work with you as reporters. It is honestly crazy (and amazing of course) to see how far you guys have come and what you have accomplished! I hope you know how awesome you are and how appreciated all the hard work you do is.

Nick: Thanks for being the best editor and for always providing me with much-needed guidance in the newsroom. You have always worked incredibly hard, and I hope you take some time to relax and enjoy yourself after graduation. We’re almost there, wooo!!!

Zach: You were never actually my direct editor, but you always brought some laughter into the newsroom which I appreciated. You have worked extremely hard, and I hope you take some much-deserved time to yourself soon. Give me a call when your career as a niche internet micro-celebrity takes off and you are looking for management. And thank you for teaching me that there is always (always) a GW peg!