Men’s basketball reshuffles coaching staff after assistant’s departure: ESPN report

James Schaap
Coaches Zak Boisvert (left) and Dwyane Lee talk strategy in a loss against Rhode Island

Men’s basketball Assistant Coach Zak Boisvert will leave the Revolutionaries to become an assistant coach for Saint Louis University’s team next season, SLU announced Wednesday

Boisvert’s departure closes the curtain on his two-season career with the Revs after he joined the team in May 2022 as one of Head Coach Chris Caputo’s first staff hires. Officials promoted Director of Recruiting Matt Colpoys to replace Boisvert following his departure from the team, according to an ESPN source.

The Department of Athletics declined to comment, saying they do not comment on personnel matters.

Before joining the Revs, Boisvert spent one season at Indiana State as an assistant coach for the 2021-22 season. He will be reunited in Saint Louis with newly hired Billikens Head Coach Josh Schertz, who he worked with to helm the team during Schertz’s stint as the Sycamores’ head coach.

Prior to landing at GW, Boisvert worked as a student manager at Fordham, graduating in 2010. From there, he coached at Iona College, Fairleigh Dickinson University, the University of Maine and Army. 

Under Boisvert’s tutelage, the Revs recorded their first league play-winning season in 2022-23 since 2016-17, finishing with a 10-8 record. 

As a young student manager in search of career advice, Boisvert wrote letters to every Division 1 assistant coach who didn’t play D1 basketball. Caputo was serving as an assistant coach at George Mason at the time, following his career as a Division III Westfield State point guard, when he received a message from Boisvert. 

As the two moved through coaching staffs at different colleges, their relationship evolved, and Caputo ultimately traveled north from University of Miami for the head role with the Revs in April 2022. He brought Boisvert onto his staff that May, and the duo spent two seasons together at GW before Boisvert’s departure this spring. 

Saint Louis finished 5-13 in A-10 play this season, finishing 13th seed the conference, two spots above the Revs. The Billikens announced the dismissal of Head Coach Travis Ford on March 14 after his leadership across eight seasons. Schertz held his introductory press conference Monday, coming off a loss in the National Invitation Tournament championship game against Seton Hall in his final game as Indiana State’s head coach.

Colpoys has been a member of Caputo’s staff for two prior seasons, acting as the director of recruiting during the 2022-23 season and the co-offensive coordinator during the 2023-24 season.

Prior to joining the Revs, Colpoys served as a graduate assistant at Iowa State after leading Johns Hopkins as assistant coach for the 2019-20 and 2021-22 seasons, where he helped to oversee the best two-year record of 47-8 in program history. The Blue Jays won two Centennial Conference championships during that stretch, also advancing to the NCAA DIII tournament twice.

Colpoys spent his collegiate career playing at Penn State Behrend, where he was part of a team that won 42 games, as a two-year starter. He graduated in 2018 with a degree in finance from the university.