Saleem faces SGA disqualification after alleged premature campaigning

Chuckie Copeland | Staff Photographer
Student Government Association Sen. Dan Saleem (CCAS-U) at an SGA meeting in November.

A presidential contender in next week’s Student Government Association elections faces disqualification from the ballot after the Joint Elections Commission on Tuesday charged him with collecting endorsements before the campaign period began.

The JEC indicted SGA Sen. Dan Saleem (CCAS-U) for collecting endorsements from the leaders of two student organizations March 31, the day before the official election campaign period opened, according to a JEC indictment. Sophomore Benjamin Glauner wrote in a complaint that he found a document on the front desk of the SGA’s office in the University Student Center, in violation of a rule that restricts candidates from using University resources, including those of student organizations unless they are endorsed by the organization.

Saleem said in an interview Thursday night that because he did not share the endorsements publicly before the start of the campaign period, he did not violate the campaign regulations.

In addition to the two signed forms, Glauner said he found another pair of unsigned forms that were meant for endorsements. The five charges — four counts for the endorsement forms and one count for the improper use of the SGA space — amount to six total penalty points, meeting the threshold for Saleem’s removal from the ballot.

The JEC will hold a hearing Friday at 8 p.m. in room 309 of the student center, where the elections commission and Saleem will argue their cases.

The JEC struck down Saleem’s motion to dismiss the charges, according to the judicial commission’s order.

Glauner did not immediately return a request for comment.

The endorsements were discovered on a four-page document titled “Dan Saleem for GW Student Government Association President 2024 Official Endorsement Form,” the indictment states. Two officers from GW Desis and two officers from GWU Esports signed the document, according to photos in the complaint.

The complaint also included photos of two incomplete endorsement forms labeled for the GW Sailing Team and GW Red Cross and stated that Saleem was seeking completion, which further violated campaign material distribution rules.

Saleem said he received endorsements from student organizations before April 1 and was approached by student organizations who sought to endorse him before the beginning of the campaign period. He said he was not disseminating the information to the public until April 1 as all official campaign information has been shared through his Instagram, including two endorsements from GW Desis and the GW Commuter Student Association, which were shared after April 1.

“We don’t believe that we have done anything wrong, and we look forward to proving the prosecution wrong at this hearing,” Saleem said.