Baseball sweeps St. Bonaventure to open conference play

Outfielders Ellis Schwartz and Ben Gates dominated on offense to help deliver the Revs a series sweep.
File Photo by Arwen Clemans | Photographer
A batter lines up for a swing during the game against Towson.

Baseball (19-10, 4-0 A-10) took home a series win against St. Bonaventure (8-16, 0-4 A-10) this weekend, sweeping the Bonnies for their first series win in the A-10. 

After falling to Towson 8-7 on Wednesday, the Revs made their comeback this weekend by winning the series 3-0. 

Game 1: 

The Revs kicked off the series Friday, securing a 12-8 victory over the Bonnies. 

After an actionless first inning, the Revs hit the field running in the second inning, scoring the opening run of the day with an RBI single to right center by senior right fielder Sam Gates that brought graduate student left fielder Steve DiTomaso home. 

After the Bonnies responded with three runs, the Revs were able to counter, collecting three runs in the third inning from graduate student infielder Robby Wacker, junior catcher Tim Nicholson and graduate student outfielder Ellis Schwartz. In the fourth, the Revs scored two more runs from Nicholson and Brett Young, bringing the score to 6-3. Schwartz brought home Young with an RBI single. He finished the day four for five. 

A solo home run from Gates in the fifth extended the GW lead to 7-3.

Two runs in both the seventh and eighth innings brought the Bonnies to within one run, with GW up to bat in the eighth leading 8-7. The Revs held off, scoring four runs in the eighth to extend their lead to 5 with Schwartz and Wacker among the Revs to score.

Game 2:

Rolling back on Saturday, the Revs coasted past the Bonnies once again, winning 6-3.

Gates opened up scoring for the Revs off a wild pitch in the first inning. The Revs extended their lead to 4-0 in the second with three runs. Schwartz and Gates both hit doubles in the inning, Gates’ batting in Wacker for a run. Both Gates and Schwartz have been hot at the plate to open the season, first and second, respectively, on the team in OPS, with .999 and .957.  

The Revs and Bonnies entered a scoring drought until the sixth inning. The Bonnies entered the scoring column in the sixth, scoring three runs off four hits, narrowing the deficit 4-3. The Revs responded with two insurance runs in the eighth inning, bringing their lead to 6-3. 

Graduate student infielder McGwire Tuffy batted in the team’s first run with a double deep up the middle. Freshman infielder Nick Mullen drove in the second run with an RBI to the shortstop. 

Once again, the Revs dominated offensively. Schwartz fueled the Revs, going two for three with two runs and an RBI. Gates had another strong display, going three for four with an RBI and run. Schwartz and Gates are first and third on the team, respectively, with .375 and .328 batting averages. 

Game 3: 

The Revs closed out the weekend of conference play with their third-straight victory over St. Bonaventure in a 7-0 Sunday afternoon shutout

DiTomaso kicked off scoring in the first, hitting an RBI double to score Gates, marking the first of five runs throughout the first two innings. Redshirt freshman first baseman Charlie Rogan was next to bat, where he blasted his third home run of the season, sending the ball flying into left field before it careened off the video board. Following Rogan, DiTomaso hit his own home run in the second inning, batting in three runners.

Graduate student pitcher Graham Jeffries dominated on the mound for GW, allowing only one hit in seven innings and striking out six. He was relieved by junior pitcher Shugy Klein, who held off St. Bonaventure’s offense in the eighth inning. In the ninth, graduate student pitcher Brandon Siegenthaler sealed the shutout behind a game-ending double play. Jeffries improved to 4-0 for the season.

With this win, the team has won 10 of their last 12 games.

GW will face William & Mary on Wednesday, followed by a three-game series at George Mason next weekend as part of A-10 play, with the Wednesday match airing live on ESPN+.