Lacrosse falls to Davidson; winless in A-10

Lacrosse dropped the ball against Davidson on Sunday, marking their third-straight loss.
Lexi Critchett | Staff Photographer
Graduate student attacker Desiree Kleberg squares up defenders during a win against Robert Morris earlier this month.

Women’s lacrosse (3-9, 0-4 A-10) fell 18-9 to Davidson (6-5, 3-1 A-10) in an Atlantic 10 matchup Sunday.

The loss marks the squad’s third straight since beating Youngstown State on March 13 and St. Joseph’s on Wednesday. GW currently sits at 3-9 overall and has yet to win an in-conference game this season, going 0-4 in A-10 play. 

GW dedicated the game to Morgan’s Message, an organization honoring former Duke lacrosse player Morgan Rodgers who died by suicide in 2019. The organization, founded by Rodgers’ family and team, promotes mental health awareness for student-athletes by sharing resources, advocating for struggling athletes and destigmatizing mental illness in collegiate athletics.

Graduate student attacker Desiree Kleberg led the Revs with three goals followed by senior midfielder Phoebe Mullarkey who added two. Solo goals came from sophomore attacker Grace Curry, senior midfielder Bailey Aaron, junior attacker Everly Kessler and graduate student attacker Emma Nowakowski. 

GW’s offense found success driving to the net. Nowakowski, a transfer from High Point University, tallied the team’s only assist on the day feeding Curry early in the second quarter. Nowakowski leads GW in goals with 28 on the season.

A team captain and transfer from Quinnipiac University, Kleberg leads GW with 33 points and 12 assists. Kleberg has scored three hat tricks in her last four appearances and six total this year.

The Wildcats took an early lead, outscoring GW 6-0 in the first quarter, a deficit the Revs failed to climb back from. At the half, the score sat at 10-3 in favor of Davidson. GW recorded six goals to the Wildcats’ eight for the second stanza of the game. 

Davidson’s senior attackman Julianne Carey led the Wildcats with six goals and junior midfielder Josie Lambert contributed five goals of her own. Carey became the program’s all-time leading draw taker with 113 draws in 2023 and 250 career draws going into her senior season. She ended last season ranked third in goals, assists and points with 34, 25 and 59, respectively.

The Revs recorded 13 ground balls and nine forced turnovers against Davidson’s 16 and ten, respectively. Junior Mia Caro started in net for the Revs, saving one shot and allowing nine goals. Freshman goalie Arden Bogle of GW checked in during the second quarter and held a .400 save percentage, denying six shots and allowing nine.

GW is tied for last in the conference, taking ninth place over La Salle, who is currently on a five-game losing streak. With the win, Davidson moves to 6-5 on the season and 3-1 in A-10 play, which places them in a tie for third place with St. Bonaventure. 

Davidson ranked fourth in the A-10 preseason poll while GW was voted sixth. The Wildcats ended their 2023 campaign 12-6 overall, marking their third-straight season with a double-digit victory column. GW finished 5-4 in conference play last year and 6-12 overall.

The Revs look to break their losing streak next Saturday, March 30, on the road against conference rival George Mason.