Softball picks up two wins in consecutive shutouts

Softball took home a win against Towson on Tuesday and Hofstra on Wednesday.
Alexandra Critchett
Senior Alexa Williams makes contact with the ball in a loss against Stony Brook

Softball (15-12, 2-1 A-10) defeated Towson (11-16, 3-3 A-10) 9-0 on Tuesday and Hofstra (6-14, 4-2 A-10) 10-0 on Wednesday. 

The Revolutionaries stockpiled a total of 19 runs over the two days while shutting out Townson or Hofstra. Prior to this game, the Revs defeated Loyola Chicago 2-1 in a three-game series on March 16 to 17 in their first Atlantic 10 competition of the season.

Game 1:

The Revolutionaries beat the Tigers 9-0 on Tuesday, with freshman pitcher Sophia Torreso collecting the first shutout of her collegiate career. 

Torreso pitched all five innings and struck out four players while allowing only four hits and one walk from the Tigers. The Revs last faced the Tigers in 2021, when they lost 3-1, collecting their only run in the fourth inning.

Freshman infielder Mandy Lauth opened the Revs’ offense in the second inning with a sacrifice grounder to the second baseman, allowing senior utility Alexa Williams to score the Revs’ first run of the game.  

In the bottom of the third, graduate student infielder Maggie Greco knocked a single, advancing senior infielder Alena Ramirez to second base and freshman infielder Cadence Gilliland to third. Then, graduate student catcher Allison Heffley earned a walk, to allow Gilliland to deliver the Revs another run, 2-0. 

Williams continued the Revs’ scoring in the third inning with another sacrifice groundout to second base and bringing the score to 3-0. 

But with the bases still loaded, freshman outfielder Paige Hayward hit a single, which got overthrown to Towson’s third baseman to bring in every runner on base. Hayward advanced to third off the error while Williams, Corpuz and Hayward scored to bring the lead to 6-0. 

Lauth ended the third inning by hitting a sacrifice fly, bringing Hayward home, ending the electric third inning 7-0. 

Going into the fourth inning, Greco hit an RBI triple, allowing junior utility Gabby Polsky to score another run. On the next pitch, Heffley hit a sacrifice fly to right field, allowing Greco to cross the plate and conclude the game 9-0. 

Game 2:

The Revs extended their shutout streak, collecting a 10-0 win against Hofstra on Wednesday with two score-heavy innings. 

Freshman pitcher Cece Smith picked up her fourth shutout of the season, striking out seven batters and only allowing six players on base. Smith was named A-10 Rookie of the Week on Tuesday and A-10 Pitcher of the Week last week.

The Revs quickly led 5-0 in the first inning, with Williams hitting a double to right center to bring in Heffley for the first run. Williams then made it home after Corpuz knocked a single down the left field line. A single from Hayward put Corpuz in scoring position, who scored following a left field single from Lauth on the next at bat. 

Sophomore utility Rose Cano kept the hot streak alive with a double to the right center field, batting in Lauth and Hayward and bringing the score 5-0 to end the first inning. 

After a scoreless second inning, Hayward hit an RBI single to left field to bring in a runner on second home and push the score to 6-0 in the third inning. 

In the fourth inning, Ramirez and Gilliland scored on Greco’s triple in the direction of right center to the field. Immediately after, Heffley drove in with an RBI double to right field. Polksy sealed the game with another run as Corpuz singled to right field, resulting in a final score of 10-0. 

The team will return to conference play when they head to Dayton, Ohio, for a three-game series against Dayton this weekend, starting Saturday at noon.