Men’s basketball’s Maximus Edwards enters transfer portal

Jennifer Igbonoba | Staff Photographer
Redshirt sophomore guard Maximus Edwards drives to the basket.

Redshirt sophomore guard Maximus Edwards announced Monday that he is entering the transfer portal.

Edwards, the 2022-23 Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Year, averaged 12.4 points per game this season, up from 10.5 points per game in last year’s campaign. After starting in 23 of the Revs’ first 24 games, Edwards came off the bench in the team’s final seven games, including GW’s A-10 tournament opening-round defeat at the hands of the La Salle Explorers.

Edwards tied his single-game career high in points this season, scoring 24 in the Revs’ victory over the University of Delaware back in November 2023.

This is the second time Edwards has entered the transfer portal. The Stratford, Connecticut, native started his collegiate career at Kansas State before transferring to GW prior to the 2022-23 season.

The 6’5” guard took to social media to thank the University, as well as his teammates and coaches. He ended his thank you by expressing gratitude for his two seasons in D.C. and stating his excitement for the road ahead.

Edwards leaves the legacy of being GW’s first A-10 Rookie of the Year winner since the 1999-2000 season when guard SirValiant Brown took home the award for the Revs.

Edwards is the first GW player to enter the transfer portal following their 15-17 season that saw them finish last in the A-10. Redshirt freshman forward Darren Buchanan Jr. announced earlier today that he will return to GW next season. He finished his first season with the Revs as the team’s second-leading scorer, averaging 15.6 points per game, which was good for first among A-10 rookies and ninth overall.