A-10 to retool tournament after Davidson women’s basketball cancels season

Davidson women’s basketball announced on Friday the remainder of their 2023-24 season would be canceled due to a slew of injuries plaguing their roster, a change that will have seeding implications for the Revs as they enter the A-10 tournament. 

After starting the season at 12-1, a program best, the Wildcats (18-11, 8-10 A-10) had their season derailed by multiple season-ending injuries, with only seven uniformed players during their last game against the Revolutionaries on Tuesday. Davidson’s dropout will also likely rattle GW’s standing in the tournament play as the conference finalizes its seeding for the final stretch.

Davidson sophomore guard Charlise Dunn posted on Instagram on Feb. 13 about a potential torn ACL and redshirt senior forward Ellie Sutphin has been sidelined since mid-January.

“The physical, mental and emotional toll of this unfortunate and injury-riddled season has brought us to this point,” Davidson Vice President and Director of Athletics Chris Clunie said in a joint statement posted to Davidson’s athletic website. “We are incredibly saddened that we cannot finish out the season strong but feel this is the best decision for our scholar-athletes.”

At the time of their announcement, the team ranked seventh out of 15 in the overall A-10 standings. Davidson fell to GW 45-40 on Feb. 28, just two days before the decision to cancel the rest of their campaign. 

With the bracket for the A-10 women’s tournament set for release on Saturday, the changes affect not just seeding, but the overall structure of the tournament. The conference will have just shy of a day to determine bracket rearrangements. 

This has been combated by reverting to the old bracket structure used before Loyola Chicago entered the A-10. The returning structure removes the 10-seed vs 15-seed game that was set to take place on Wednesday and places the 10th seed into a matchup with the seventh seed on Thursday.  

With Davidson departing the field, GW moves into the 11th seed, where they’d be slated to play now-14th seed St. Bonaventure (4-24, 1-16 A-10) on Wednesday at 2:30 p.m. But, if the Revs win against Loyola Chicago (14-14, 8-9 A-10) on Saturday and if Dayton (11-17, 5-12 A-10), who currently sits in the 10th seed, loses, the Revs would leapfrog the Flyers and move into 10th, where they’d get a first-round bye and play the seventh seed on Thursday at 5 p.m.