FRESHFARM workers ratify union agreement

Jordan Tovin | Assistant Photo Editor
A bushel of apples wait to be plucked at the FRESHFARM Foggy Bottom Market.

Workers for a local farmers market voted in favor of a union contract Monday, the first of its kind in the country.

Staff for FRESHFARM, the largest farmers market organization in the mid-Atlantic operating 27 seasonal and year-round locations in Maryland, Virginia and the District, including in Foggy Bottom, ratified their first collective bargaining agreement, which was the first farmers market union contact in United States history, according to a release about the agreement. FRESHFARM workers unionized with United Food & Commercial Workers Local 400 last February when they signed a three-year contract to cover the farmers market’s roughly 25 employees.

The agreement secures higher wages, annual raises, vacation time for seasonal employees and procedures for solving internal grievances. The contract also creates a “labor-management committee” to help coordinate the improvement of workplace conditions and safety.

“This landmark agreement underscores the strength and dedication of the team operating our extensive network of farmers markets in the Washington, D.C. Metro Area,” Hugo Mogollon, the executive director of FRESHFARM, said in the release. “The agreement formalizes the values and practices that have been foundational to FRESHFARM since our inception, reaffirming our commitment to a just and sustainable food future.”

FRESHFARM Foggy Bottom on I Street Mall between 23rd and 24th streets is open every Wednesday except for the end of December and beginning of January. The farmers market has 19 vendors that sell products like produce, coffee and Mexican street food.

The agreement comes before officials this summer renovate I Street Mall, the site of FRESHFARM Foggy Bottom, through conducting “major” landscaping and adding lighting to address public health and safety concerns. Officials said there may be “limited” impacts to the operation of the farmers market during certain phases of the renovation.