Beloved owners of McReynold’s Liquors to sell store

Kaiden Yu | Staff Photographer
McReynold’s Liquors on G Street.

The owners of McReynold’s Liquors have sold the beloved Foggy Bottom store.

Matthew Kimwon, the owner of McReynold’s on the 1700 block of G Street, said he and his wife Sophia are selling the store to travel to South Korea to take care of his sick mother. The new owner will take full responsibility of the store after two weeks of training, which begins Monday, Kimwon said.

Kimwon said the new owner owns a “big” liquor store in Atlanta. He said the owner will retain the McReynold’s name and continue to sell liquor.

Under Kimwon’s ownership, McReynold’s has woven itself into GW’s campus fabric. Students toasted President Joe Biden’s election with bubbly and often commemorated their graduations with photos at the storefront. Kimwon has even tracked students’ evolving alcohol preferences — last year, tequila was the Foggy Bottom favorite.

“We have good memories, so we won’t forget,” Kimwon said. “You guys will stay in our hearts forever.”

The store’s proximity to campus and 10 percent discount for GW students on low-alcohol beverages often attract students to peruse their eclectic liquor collection and expansive vape inventory.

The Kimwons became the fourth owners of McReynold’s in 2013 after they emigrated to the United States from South Korea in 2011 with their two children, Kimwon said. He took over the store from a member of the church he attended in Maryland following the previous owners’ retirement.

Lily Speredelozzi | Assistant Photo Editor

The Kimwons celebrated their one-decade anniversary of store ownership last January.

Kimwon said he thinks of GW students as his children because his own kids are college-aged. He said he always tried to take care of students as best he could.

Kimwon said beyond needing to take care of his mother, he and his wife also need a break. He said the pair often work 80 hours a week at McReynold’s.

“We are getting old and exhausted,” Kimwon said.