GW Hospital lays off about 60 employees

GW+Hospital+on+23rd+St.+
Daria Nastasia | Staff Photgrapher
GW Hospital on 23rd St.

GW Hospital laid off approximately 3 percent of its staff late last month.

The hospital laid off approximately 60 workers, most in positions “not directly involved in the front line of patient care delivery,” according to a statement from the hospital provided to The Hatchet on Thursday. Representatives for the union acting on behalf of nurses, which has not yet been officially recognized, allege employees did not receive advance notice of their termination.

A job elimination notice obtained by The Hatchet states that the hospital will pay terminated employees for any unused paid time off, and GW Hospital’s release states that the majority of laid-off employees were offered other positions within the company. The hospital is “making every effort to support impacted employees,” including providing separation packages and helping transition employees into new roles, according to the statement.

“We are restructuring certain functional areas and departments within The George Washington University Hospital to increase operational efficiencies and reduce costs during this challenging time in the healthcare industry,” the statement reads.

Hospitals are still financially recovering from the stress of the COVID-19 pandemic, made worse by inflation and labor shortages. A spokesperson for GW Hospital deferred comment to the statement provided to media.

Ed Smith, the executive director of the District of Columbia Nurses Association, said some employees reported coming into work late last month to find that their badges were not working properly, only to discover they were laid off.

Smith said the National Labor Relations Board has yet to weigh in on the hospital’s objection to nurses’ July vote to unionize, meaning the hospital does not officially recognize the DCNA as the union representing its nurses. The D.C. Council wrote a letter in June requesting the hospital allow the union vote and stop alleged unfair labor practices, like intimidation and coercion surrounding the unionization effort.

“We’re going to continue to work to talk to our nurses in the various units, find out what their issues are and help them resolve the issues,” Smith said.