Local ANC commissioners pen letter denouncing resurgence of former councilmember

Jack Evans, a D.C. councilmember representing Ward 2, was under review by the Council’s ethics board.

Four years after former Ward 2 Councilmember Jack Evans resigned after ethical investigations into his conduct, more than 50 members of local governing bodies across the District sent a letter to Mayor Muriel Bowser and the D.C. Council expressing disapproval over his return to D.C. government.

The letter, signed by three members of the Foggy Bottom and West End Advisory Neighborhood Committee, denounces Evans’ involvement in a city study that will examine the finances of new and existing sports facilities in the District and his recent appointment to D.C.’s Commission on the Arts and Humanities. Evans’ contested resurgence into local political life comes after he vacated his seat in 2020 following multiple local and federal investigations found he violated various ethics codes, like using his government email in business proceedings.

“We wish to remind the District’s leaders why Mr. Evans no longer represents District residents,” the letter reads. “Jack Evans is no longer in office because he shamelessly abused his public office for private gain.”

Evans is one of several private contractor advisors on a team under the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development to work with D.C.’s professional sports teams on developing sports in the area. Last week, D.C. Council Chairman Phil Mendelson appointed Evans to the Commission on the Arts and Humanities, which develops arts and humanities programs in the District. The Commission will award over $26.6 million in grants in the 2024 fiscal year.

Evans allegedly used his position as a councilmember and Metro board chairman for personal financial gain, culminating in FBI agents raiding his Georgetown home in June 2019.

“When Jack Evans took office on behalf of District residents, he was offered a choice: he could hold public office in a public trust, or he could relentlessly pursue personal financial gain,” the letter reads. “He freely made his choice.”

In response to the letter, reported by Washington City Paper, Mendelson wrote that he “will not defend” Evans’ past behavior, and he intended for Evans’ appointment to “force change on the Commission,” which has cut funding despite a growing budget. The commission overhauled its funding structure in 2021, disbursing more grants but cutting funding for major institutions.

“Despite the truth in all you have written regarding Jack Evans’ history, he is well regarded by the arts community,” Mendelson wrote. “I am confident that he will press the arts Commission to rethink its posture regarding both the large organizations and the downtown.”

ANC2A Chair Jim Malec, 2A01 Commissioner Yannik Omictin and 2A03 Commissioner Trupti Patel signed onto the resolution.

“Jack Evans is not special,” Malec said in an email. “We are a city of roughly 700,000 people, and I find it extremely hard to believe that a disgraced former Councilmember is the only person in the District capable of effectively serving in this role. Even if he were, his numerous ethics violations would still be disqualifying.”

Patel said she signed the letter to discourage the rewarding of bad behavior.