Women’s basketball drops to Fordham, loses fourth straight in A-10 play

File Photo by Rachel Kurlandsky | Photographer
Sophomore guard Nya Robertson scans the floor as George Mason junior Paula Suárez guards.

Women’s basketball (8-12, 1-7 A-10) fell to Fordham (7-13, 2-7 A-10) 60-55 in a close game Saturday, continuing their four-game losing streak, as they were not able to gain offensive momentum to close the game in a win.

The Revolutionaries have struggled offensively in Atlantic 10 play, averaging 30.3 percent shooting over the past three games. Saturday’s shooting performance was improved — 40 percent from the field and 42.9 percent from the 3-point line — but the Revolutionaries struggled with 17 fouls and 15 turnovers.

The Rams took 15 more attempted shots but only made two more baskets, totaling 33.8 percent from the field, with 26.3 percent shooting from the deep. The Rams’ free throw opportunities made the difference in the fourth quarter, as they made six of 12 to help seal the game.

Sophomore guard Nya Robertson led the game with 19 points and junior forward Maxine Engel scored 9 points, shooting 3-4 from the 3-point line. Graduate student guard Nya Lok finished the game with 6 points and four steals. Lok’s scoring total put her over 1,000 career points, a notable benchmark for the guard.

The Revs had only held one lead, an 8-7 edge five minutes into the game. This was short-lived, however, as the quarter ended on a 9-2 Fordham run to bring the score to 16-10. To end the half, Fordham scored 6 straight in 13 seconds off an and-1 and a 3-pointer to cement a 31-24 lead.

The Revs went scoreless for the first three minutes of the third quarter, shooting 0-4 and helping the Rams extend their lead to 13 points. With a minute left, Engel made her second 3-pointer, assisted by senior guard Asjah Inniss, ending the third quarter down 44-36.

In the fourth quarter, Robertson shined as she shot 5-7 from the field. Robertson sunk a jumper in the sixth minute and a 3-pointer in the next Revs’ possession to bring the score 51-45. With 3:12 minutes remaining, Engel made her third 3-pointer of the game to cut the Fordham lead to just 3. Following a Fordham layup, Robertson made two consecutive jumpers to bring the Revs within 1 point. Inniss helped the Revs to tie the game 55-55 as she sank an and-1 with 1:02 minutes remaining.

The comeback attempt proved to be too little, too late, as the Revs were unable to score again, with Lok committing an offensive foul down 2 with 40 seconds left, giving the ball back to the Rams. Three late free throws brought the final score to 55-60.

The Revolutionaries will return to the Smith Center as they face Rhode Island (14-8, 6-3 A-10) on Jan. 31 at 6 p.m.