Officials to unveil plan for free speech, academic freedom

Granberg announced that officials will clarify the University’s free speech policies.
Thomas Rath | Staff Photographer
University President Ellen Granberg sits in her 1918 F St. office.

University President Ellen Granberg said officials will soon announce a plan clarifying GW’s free speech policies in an email to the University community Wednesday.

Granberg said the comprehensive plan, to be released “in the coming days,” will include initiatives, programs and activities that support community members impacted by the Israel-Hamas war and protect and clarify academic freedom at the University after international conflict raised questions about campus safety and free speech at GW last semester. She said the clarification of free speech policies will also guide the GW community on how to approach discourse surrounding the 2024 presidential election.

“Domestic and international issues will be at the forefront of our attention,” Granberg said in the email. “This is an opportunity for us to model robust and productive civil discourse around all the issues we care about.”

Students accused officials of silencing pro-Palestinian students after they barred Students for Justice in Palestine from holding on-campus activities following their projection of anti-Israel messages onto Gelman Library in October — which generated intense national blowback and was denounced by Granberg — due to their violation of GW’s noncompliance and Gelman building use policies.

At a Faculty Senate meeting last week, Granberg said officials may revise the Code of Student Conduct to ensure that it is “harmonized” with free speech regulations. Provost Chris Bracey said at the meeting that he will reinforce GW’s commitment to academic freedom, freedom of expression and freedom of inquiry through a message to the community.

Faculty Senate Executive Committee Chair Ilana Feldman said at a senate meeting in December that the community should reaffirm their commitment to freedom of expression after “recent actions” could suggest a weakening in free speech at GW.

“As an academic institution and a shared community, we always strive to be better and to do better,” Granberg said in the email. “These experiences have created an opportunity for us to both reflect on how we can progress together and to act on those reflections.”