Let it snow with these DC snow day activities

Camille DeSanto | Assistant Photo Editor
Skaters glide across the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden Ice Rink.

For the first time in years, D.C. became a snowy winter wonderland Monday.

Some might find the weather outside frightful while others find the snow that blanketed the city delightful. If embracing the cold is for you, try these activities around the District to make the most of the snowy season that D.C. will have to offer.

Are you a daredevil at heart? Then get your thrill-seeking in by sledding around the District.

If you don’t have a sled lying around your dorm, try a cookie sheet, trash bag or even a laundry basket for maximum speed. If you prefer to go the academic route, pick up one of the massive textbooks that has been taking up space on your shelf.

Appropriately named for being located behind the Georgetown Neighborhood Library, Book Hill Park boasts several hills, all ideal for sledding. If you are looking for real speed, the park features one of the steepest hills in Northwest D.C.

A true Only at GW moment, sledding on the Capitol grounds is a must-try for students. Overlooking the National Mall, the Capitol grounds provide a wonderful view of a hopefully snowy city. Sledding on the hill is permitted only if the grounds are open. 

If you feel more reassured on a solid, slippery surface rather than soaring through the air, your twirling talents might be better off at an ice skating rink.

Surrounded by sculptures, lights, trees and the building itself, the National Portrait Gallery’s ice rink is an idyllic way to spend an afternoon, skating with friends and grabbing a bite to eat at the Pavilion Cafe. Tickets are sold in 45-minute sessions at the top of each hour, so make sure to get there at a time that ensures you won’t be waiting around in the cold. 

With a student ID, admission is $10 and skate rentals are $6. The rink is open until March 3, weather permitting, giving plenty of time to skate amid iconic works of art.

Across from popular music venue The Anthem, the Wharf’s ice rink sits over the water on Transit Pier. The rink is under twinkling lights and overlooks the Washington Channel. 

There are many restaurants, shops and food stands nearby if a break from the cold is desired. The rink is open until Feb. 25 but does have some closures due to public holidays and private events.

If you prefer curling over ice skating, the rink offers sessions that teams of four can sign up for. Admission is $13 and skate rental is $8.

A short 15-minute walk from campus, Washington Harbour’s ice rink overlooks the Potomac River, the Kennedy Center and parts of Georgetown. The rink is open until Feb. 25 and has an $11 admission fee and a $7 skate rental fee.

Not only is the rink surrounded by the harbor, but also restaurants and shops, including Bozzeli’s Italian Deli for a quick bite or Farmers Fishers Bakers for a casual sit-down meal. Tickets are sold in 90-minute increments to make the most out of your skating experience.

If spending snow days outside is not your vibe, cafes around the District serve up hot chocolate that will keep you warm all day long.

Colada Shop, a Cuban cafe offering drinks, smoothies, breakfast, lunch and desserts, offers Chocolate de la Abuela, a classic Cuban hot chocolate. This twist on a regular hot chocolate features spices including cinnamon, nutmeg and clove for a bit of flair. The closest location to Foggy Bottom is 1900 N St. NW.

The French-inspired cafe Maman, with locations in Penn Quarter, Dupont Circle and Georgetown, also offers three hot chocolate options off of their vast menu. The normal hot chocolate is decadent and is topped with cocoa powder. The lavender hot chocolate features a lavender flavor alongside the rich hot chocolate drink.

Those looking for a not-so-hot hot chocolate can opt for the kids’ hot chocolate, preventing any risk of a burnt tongue. The cafe itself is decorated with bright flowers and offers tons of natural lighting, something to look forward to during gray winters.

L.A. Burdick, a Swiss chocolate shop located in Georgetown, provides not only a vast menu of handmade chocolates and pastries but also a Drinking Chocolate, a richer and even more chocolatey drink. Options include the house blend, dark, milk, white chocolate and a spicy dark chocolate for those wishing to go beyond the norm.