The Hatchet’s Top 23 Songs of 2023

Jordan Tovin | Assistant Photo Editor

From the rise of artificial intelligence in songwriting to Taylor Swift breaking every touring record imaginable, 2023 was a banner year for the music industry.

With tracks covering decade-old romances, Joan Didion references and drinking wine alone in a truck, the past year’s music has something for fans of any genre. Wrapping up 2023, here are The Hatchet’s top 23 songs of the year.

A&W” – Lana Del Rey

Lana Del Rey has spent her career building a dreamy and melancholic world through her narrative music. Del Rey showcases her storytelling on the seven-minute track, “A&W.” The song is atmospheric, as pianos and guitars accompany Del Rey as she sings about how women are exploited and villainized for their sexuality.

Agora Hills” – Doja Cat

Doja Cat’s “Agora Hills” recounts the fine line between keeping a relationship private and wanting to show off a romance. While Doja Cat’s breathy vocals shine, the real star of the show is the spoken interludes peppered throughout the track.

all-american bitch” – Olivia Rodrigo 

The opening track of Olivia Rodrigo’s second studio album “Guts,” “all-american bitch” explores the contradictory demands American culture places on women, like an expectation to remain optimistic on the outside despite internal anguish. Rodrigo revealed the title came from an essay in Joan Didion’s “The White Album,” when “some hippie” Didion interviewed called his mom an “all-American Bitch.”

BESO” – Rosalía and Rauw Alejandro

On their joint EP “RR,” now ex-fiancés Rosalía and Rauw Alejandro are united by their genre-bending expertise and the storied romance they shared with one another, which ended in July. The EP’s single “BESO” is a harmonic duet, as Rosalía and Rauw Alejandro sing to their devotion and the sacred relationship.

Boy’s a Liar, Pt. 2” – PinkPantheress Feat. Ice Spice

British singer PinkPantheress digs into her anxiety about a romantic relationship, questioning how much of a commitment her beau has to her. Breakout rapper Ice Spice calls him out for cheating on her, but admits that she can’t go on without his attention. PinkPantheress and Ice Spice’s vocals bounce off each other, and the song feels like talking to your girlfriends about your latest situationship, but at least this conversation has a good beat rather than your friends’ sorry looks.

Cab in a Solo” – Scotty McCreery

Former American Idol-winner Scotty McCreery combines all the themes of country music in “Cab in a Solo,” where he mourns that his ex-lover wouldn’t take him back, so he has to drink the fancy wine he bought her alone in his pickup. The song features possibly the funniest line of 2023, as McCreery laments his sorry position by “Drinking cab in a solo / solo in the cab of my truck.”

Dance the Night” – Dua Lipa

Sung by Dua Lipa, “Dance the Night” from Greta Gerwig’s “Barbie” movie transports listeners to a retro, glittery discotheque. It’s paired with an iconic party scene in the movie, in which Margot Robbie’s Barbie leads the cast in a choreographed dance.

Float” – Janelle Monae Feat. Seun Kuti and Egypt 80′

A triumphant song celebrating liberation and confidence, “Float” is the opening track on Janelle Monae’s newest album, “The Age of Pleasure,” her first studio album in five years. Monae makes sure that everyone knows she’s more than ready for her return to music, not just singing, not dancing, but floating through life and love on waves of pleasure.

The Hillbillies” – Baby Keem and Kendrick Lamar

With their surprise song “The Hillbillies,” cousins and rappers Baby Keem and Kendrick Lamar continue their series of fruitful collaborations after their 2021 hit “family ties.” This new collab is grounded by a sample of Bon Iver’s 2020 song “PDILF” and a drum pattern often found in U.K. drill.

Is It Over Now?” – Taylor Swift 

Taylor Swift is the music industry, and no list of the top songs of 2023 would be complete without her. “Is It Over Now” is a previously unreleased track from Swift’s rerecording of her album “1989.” It quickly became a fan favorite for Swift’s signature emotional lyrics and poorly veiled references to ex-boyfriend Harry Styles.

The Last One” by Maisie Peters

“The Last One” is British pop star Maisie Peters’ most honest and emotional track yet. Peters affirms her ongoing loyalty to a person by describing what it is like to be the first and last person rooting for their success.

MONACO” – Bad Bunny

“MONACO,” is a clear stand out from latin trap and reggaeton artist Bad Bunny for its lush sampling of French singer Charles Aznavour’s 1964 song “Hier encore.” Bad Bunny is unabashed in his celebration of his unparalleled success and his challenging of his detractors, making “MONACO” the perfect hype song. 

Moonlight” – Kali Uchis

When you press play on Kali Uchis’ “Moonlight,” glittering instrumentals sweep you away to the love-filled world of the R&B singer’s third studio album, “Red Moon in Venus.” Uchis utilizes her serenading vocals to paint a picture of escaping life’s hardships and finding serenity with your partner.

My Love Mine All Mine” – Mitski

This year, indie rock artist Mitski achieved a new milestone when her song “My Love Mine All Mine” peaked at number 26 on the Billboard Hot 100. This track is warm and peaceful with its country-influenced instrumentals as Mitski celebrates the love she holds.

Not Strong Enough” – boygenius

On indie rock supergroup boygenius’ second album “the record,” “Not Strong Enough” stands out for its anthemic production and cathartic lyricism. Singer-songwriters Phoebe Bridgers, Lucy Dacus and Julien Baker wear their hearts on their sleeves as they explore the duality of feeling insecure in relationships and the God complex this insecurity can foster.

Princess Diana” – Ice Spice Feat. Nicki Minaj

Nicki Minaj and Ice Spice pay tribute to Princess Diana on this aptly titled track — fitting timing considering King Charles was coronated in May. After rapidly rising to fame in the past two years, Ice Spice uses the track to defend her success against any haters or naysayers.

Red Wine Supernova” – Chappell Roan

Indie pop star Chapell Roan draws inspiration from pop music’s foremothers, like Madonna and Katy Perry, and revels in the campiness of the genre on “Red Wine Supernova.” The song is a love letter to queer hook-ups wrapped up in country pop production that will have you itching to start line dancing.

run for the hills” – Tate McRae

From her sophomore album “THINK LATER, breakout pop star Tate McRae admits in “run for the hills” that she should distance herself from her lover, but can’t help but come back to him. It is a toxic relationship of pushing and pulling, but the relationship’s allure to McRae shines under this track’s synth cloud.

Rush” – Troye Sivan

This earworm of a song from Australian pop artist Troye Sivan kicks off with a chorus of men singing the lyrics “I feel the rush / Addicted to your touch” in a style reminiscent of football game chants. Through pulsating production and ecstatic lyrics, “Rush” transports you to the middle of a sweaty dance floor at the greatest house party of all time.

Smoke” – Victoria Monet Feat. Lucky Daye

After more than a decade working as a solo artist and a songwriter for other artists, R&B powerhouse Victoria Monét is finally getting her flowers after the release of her album “Jaguar II.” The opening track, “Smoke,” sets the ambiance of the record through an addicting bass line and smooth vocals from Monét and featured artist Lucky Daye.

Tummy Hurts” – Reneé Rapp

A Broadway star, actress, and singer/songwriter, Renee Rapp can do it all. This track, from her sophomore album “Snow Angel,”  juxtaposes the childlike feeling of a stomachache with the challenge of watching someone you love build a life with another person. 

Vampire Empire” – Big Thief

Since their 2016 debut album “Masterpiece,” indie folk band Big Thief has shined for lead vocalist and guitarist Adrianne Lenker’s unmatched songwriting. This fact remains unchanged on the band’s 2023 single, “Vampire Empire,” as Lenker rants about the confounding contradictions of a passionate yet frustrating relationship through howling vocals layered over tense instrumentals.

Will Anybody Ever Love Me?” – Sufjan Stevens

Sufjan Stevens’ song “Will Anybody Ever Love Me” glows as he finds courage in asking one of life’s toughest questions. Stevens’ mastery as a songwriter is evident throughout the track, as he paints religious parallels to the pursuit of true-hearted love.