Single and ready to Kris Kringle: solo activities to do this holiday season

From baking to volunteering, there are ways to enjoy the holidays, even without a partner.
Channel your inner Youve Got Mail and browse a D.C. bookstore like Capitol Hill Books for a holiday page-turner
Channel your inner “You’ve Got Mail” and browse a D.C. bookstore like Capitol Hill Books for a holiday page-turner

Though every Christmas movie ends with a couple falling in love — no matter how much they seemed to hate each other before — movies aren’t real life.

If you weren’t able to find a partner this cuffing season, you can still enjoy the festivities of the upcoming holidays. Take on these activities to delight in the festive winter ambiance and forget about your romantic failures.

Bake Your Favorite Cookie Recipe Without Having to Share

There is nothing better than the smell of fresh chocolate chip cookies wafting through your apartment on a cold winter evening. Though whisking flour, milk, sugar and all other cookie add-ins is often a communal task with partners or parents, there’s no reason you can’t treat yourself to a solo baking evening as the nights grow colder and lonelier.

The best part about baking alone is that you have no one to share your baked goods with, and you can eat as much as you like without guilt. To further enhance your experience, you can light a peppermint-scented candle and throw on a Christmas playlist as you drown out any romantic sorrows with chocolate chips.

Read a Book and Take in a Good Winter DC View

If you like to be alone with your thoughts, an exciting book that finishes your Goodreads goal before the new year and a beautiful D.C. view is all you need to enjoy the season. Getting the best of both worlds, you can enjoy the book for the mind and the view for the soul. 

Avoid books with Hallmark-esque, romantic comedy storylines with enemies-to-lovers who fall in love on Christmas, as those may remind you of your loneliness. A thrilling novel or holiday-themed murder mystery like John Grisham’s “Skipping Christmas” or classic page-turner “The Hunt for Red October” are distractions from reality that will better get you through the season.

If you’re looking for a classic winter D.C. spot, check out the Dumbarton Oaks, Café du Parc and Georgetown Waterfront Park. These locations are the full package: winter ambiance, a relaxing atmosphere and cozy seating.

Take a Solo Walk by DC Light Displays while Listening to a Favorite Podcast

While falling in love under the glimmer of Christmas lights may be any young romantic’s dream, you don’t have to be in a rom-com to enjoy the holiday light displays around D.C. There are plenty of great spots to enjoy a solo whimsical stroll during a relaxing winter night.

Observe holiday light displays and attractions at Tyson’s Winter Lantern Festival and the U.S. Botanical Gardens. Tyson’s outdoor maze consists of 1,000 LED-light Chinese lanterns and animal displays. The Botanical Gardens has displays of plants adorned with holiday decor with model trains chugging through.

Having your favorite podcast by your side during your journey through the lights is a great way to distract yourself. A podcast can make you feel like you’re not alone after all, with the hosts’ conversations right at your ears.

Volunteer at a Local Soup Kitchen

Instead of wallowing in your own sadness, you can do community service to benefit the District’s community. Many volunteer opportunities and soup kitchens in the D.C. area need extra hands, especially during this time of year, which tends to be their busiest. 

Consider dedicating some time to volunteering for organizations like Martha’s Table, DC Central Kitchen and Bread for the City. At an organization like these, you could help distribute produce, restock inventory and interact with members of the D.C. community.

Self-Care Day

One benefit of not being cuffed this winter season is more time for you to focus on your needs. Instead of spending money on a gift for your partner, you can use that money on a treat for yourself.

Devise a day to take yourself out on a solo date filled with shopping at Georgetown boutiques, drinking a rich cup of hot chocolate and relaxing in a yoga class. After returning home, try a calming shower with a new holiday-themed sheet mask. Put on your favorite holiday TV episode and turn on a diffuser with your favorite winter essential oils to dissipate your romantic troubles.