Officials to prohibit student events in U-Yard, Kogan Plaza through end of semester

File Photo by Skylar Epstein | Staff Photographer

Officials will no longer allow student programming in University Yard effective immediately and will prohibit events in Kogan Plaza starting next week to create “24-hour quiet areas,” per an email to students Friday.

The Division for Student Affairs announced that U-Yard is now unavailable for student groups and individuals to organize events, programming and unplanned activities through Dec. 19, while Kogan will become unavailable for student activities between Dec. 11 through Dec. 19. The email states that officials are closing off the areas, which are near study spaces and classrooms like Lisner Hall, which is part of GW Law, and Gelman Library to ensure students can study and prepare for finals.

Students have hosted several protests in campus spaces following the outbreak of the Israel-Hamas war in October, including in Kogan, by the F Street House and in front of the Elliott School of International Affairs. Prior to the email, a pro-Palestinian coalition of student organizations had planned a protest in U-Yard for Friday afternoon but switched the location to Kogan on Thursday.

GW will not permit “amplification by handheld devices” in U-Yard or Kogan and prohibits excessive noise that disturbs others, including through shouting, “pounding objects or surfaces” and playing music or other electronics at all times per the Code of Student Conduct, the email states.

“During this period, any individuals or student groups who wish to organize social activities, demonstrations or other events may use Potomac Square or another reservable and available space,” the email states. “Normal activities for the identified areas will resume effective Jan. 2, 2024.”