Trustees reject SA initiative to add voting student trustees

Members+of+the+Board+of+Trustees+sit+during+a+meeting+this+semester.+
Taytum Wymer | Staff Photographer
Members of the Board of Trustees sit during a meeting this semester.

The Board of Trustees will not consider a Student Association resolution that requested the Board add voting student trustees, a University spokesperson said Wednesday.

University spokesperson Julia Metjian said while the Board is not considering student representation “at this time,” trustees look forward to continuing “ongoing conversations” and collaboration with faculty and students. The Board’s rejection comes after the SA Senate passed the Student Empowerment Act earlier this month, which requests that trustees grant the SA president and vice president access to Board meetings and all committee sessions as voting members.

Metjian declined to comment on why the Board would not consider adding voting student trustees or if it was a possibility in the future. She said the Board has previously implemented student feedback about student representation on the Board through the inclusion of the SA president and Faculty Senate Executive Committee chair as nonvoting observers.

“The Board of Trustees welcomes feedback from students and acknowledges the important and unique perspectives students provide,” Metjian said in an email.

She said students and faculty are also represented on Board task forces. The SA president has a nonvoting seat on the Board’s Academic Affairs committee, and all three Board task forces — the Task Force on Naming, the Shared Governance Task Force, and the Environmental, Social, & Governance Responsibility Task Force — have nonvoting faculty representatives, according to the Board’s website.

SA Sen. Ethan Fitzgerald (CCAS-U), who sponsored the act, said he was not given any notification from the Board or administrators stating they will not consider the bill.

“It’s disappointing,” Fitzgerald said in a text message. “I believe there should be at least consideration, other proposals or some form of compromise.”

He said he plans to continue raising awareness about the issue by potentially passing further legislation that would create a referendum for students to express their support for student voting representation on the Board during the SA elections in the spring. Fitzgerald said moving forward with the requests in the Student Empowerment Act is “crucial” for amplifying the voices of students on campus and the importance of their representation.