CLRE announces increased security personnel in residence halls

Security presence in residence halls will be increased starting Friday.
South Hall in January 2018.

Campus Living and Residential Education officials announced in an email to students Friday it will be increasing security personnel presence in residence halls on the Foggy Bottom campus in response to ongoing and planned activism within the District.

Some residence halls will have increased security staff located in residence hall lobbies beginning Friday, while others will have the change implemented in the “coming days.” Students will also be required to tap their GWorld cards at a second reader upon entry to their residence hall lobbies, according to the email.

The email stated that Townhouse Row, Building JJ and other “specialty townhouses” have had no changes made to their tap access requirements, but officials have increased security patrols around the townhouses’ areas.

University President Ellen Granberg said in a statement last month that the University is working to “strengthen” campus security by increasing GW Police Department patrols, monitoring outdoor spaces and increasing the amount of assigned security officers in residence halls “as needed.”

Neighborhood hubs desks, which are centers located in certain residence halls where student staff can help students check out items like tools, kitchen utensils and blue carts, may be moved within buildings to accommodate the increased security staff, according to the email.