Dish of the week: Eat Brgz’s Memphis BBQ

The+Memphis+BBQ+burger+from+Eat+Brgz+on+New+Hampshire+Ave.+
Jenna Baer | Staff Photographer
The Memphis BBQ burger from Eat Brgz on New Hampshire Ave.

Missing a few letters but none of the flavors, Eat Brgz’s West End location elevates American classics by combining marinated ingredients and unexpected toppings.

Situated across the street from popular study spot Yours Truly on New Hampshire Avenue, this upscale sports bar is the sister location of the first Eat Brgz located near Eastern Market. Founded by investment analyst-turned-restaurateur Brandon Gaynor, the restaurant livens up American staples by blending specialty ingredients, like tapenade or relish, into their burger patties.

A passerby could easily mistake the elevated burger joint for a cafe, with its front patio full of high-top tables and white umbrellas, creating a stark contrast to the glossy black exterior of the restaurant. Inside, the open floor plan is wall-to-wall white, placing all of the attention on a square bar in the center of the room. Stocked with a margarita mixer and a frosé machine, the bar is surrounded by nearly two dozen faded wooden bar stools, providing ample seating for the space.

Mounted on the right side wall are three flat-screen televisions, while a lone disco ball hangs above the bar. Wooden high-top tables for two line the sides of the room, offering views of the most recent football game — or, more importantly, a glimpse of a certain blonde songstress.

When my friend and I arrived at 8:30 p.m. on a Saturday, the restaurant was winding down as about a quarter of the seats surrounding the bar and the tables lining the room were vacant. Amiable chatter mixed with pop hits from the mid-2000s as waiters brought mimosa towers and metal trays topped with sandwiches to eager customers.

While perusing the menu, we made a mental note to bring more friends during our next visit to take advantage of the house specialty chicken tender tower ($65), a three-layer assortment of fried chicken, fries and house-made sauces from garlic aioli to barbecue.

After looking through their offerings, I decided on the Memphis BBQ “brg” ($13), curious about how the pickled cucumber and carrot toppings would combine with the in-house barbecue sauce and aged cheddar infusion. After seeing a waiter pass by with a white cardboard container piled high with shoestring fries, we quickly added in an order of french fries ($3.50).

Though the deluxe shakes were enticing, from mango with Tajín to espresso with toasted coconut, we opted to sip on peach Aperol spritzes ($15) while waiting for our burgers. The slightly sweet, pink fizzy drink was a refreshing start to our meal.

Though not as flashy as their three-layered chicken tender towers, the Memphis BBQ burger was a comforting sight. Served on a metal tray inside a warm, toasted challah bun, the patty was cooked to a medium-rare sear. Infused with aged cheddar, caramelized onions, sautéed mushrooms and BBQ seasoning, every bite of the patty was a smoky explosion of flavor.

Sweet pickled cucumbers and carrots rounded out the savory meal, creating a cohesive mixture of flavors. The sugary vegetables balanced the umami patty, preventing an overwhelmingly salty taste. Fried onion ring toppings provided a satisfying, crispy bite to the sandwich.

The shoestring fries were equally addictive. After taking our last bites of the artfully seasoned “brgz,” we found ourselves fighting over the final crispy, garlicky fry at the bottom of the prototypical fast food cardboard container.