Men’s and women’s cross country both finish top five in the A-10 Championship

GW runners competed at the Atlantic 10 Championship where both teams placed in the top five.
Cross+country+runners+race+to+the+finish+line.+
Cross country runners race to the finish line.

The women’s and men’s cross country teams placed second and fifth, respectively, at the Atlantic 10 Championship Saturday in Cedarville, Ohio. 

The men’s team finished fifth in the 8K race while the women’s team finished second in the 6K race. The men’s team finished with a total score of 181 and the women recorded a total score of 103.

The meet, hosted by the University of Dayton, had over 280 runners representing the 15 different A-10 schools. 

In their last meet, both teams competed in the XC23 Pre-Nationals where the men finished third out of 11 teams and the women finished eighth out of 15 teams. The pre-nationals gave all teams competing a course preview, as they raced on a similar terrain for the A-10 Championship. In last year’s A-10 Championship, the men’s team finished the race in third place and the women’s team finished in fourth, both out of 15 teams.

Sophomore Sarah Mitchell led the way for the women’s team in the 6K race with a final time of 21:16.61 and finished the race in 7th place in addition to receiving all-conference honors. This was the second time Mitchell has earned all-conference honors, as she received her first nod after finishing in 14th place in the A-10 Championship last year.

Junior Olivia Syftestad finished in 20th place with a time of 21:51.96, while sophomore Una Boylan finished in 21st place with a time of 21:52.03, a new 6K personal record. Boylan had recorded her previous personal record during the XC23 Pre-Nationals with a time of 21:55.8.

Freshman Julia Shanes and freshman Lola Dinneen completed the race just 12 seconds apart, with Shanes finishing in 26th place with a time of 21:56.64 while Dinneen finished in 29th place with a time of 22:08.09. Both freshmen were able to finish in the top 30 in their first A-10 Championship.

Senior Catherine Ruffino finished in 68th place with a final time of 22:59.09 while senior Claire McDonnell finished her race with a final time of 23:31.45 which positioned her in 96th place. Sophomore Ashley Robinson was the last Revolutionary to finish, earning 104th place as she notched a time of 23:45.17. 

Graduate student Ryan Fowkes led the Revolutionaries in the men’s 8K race with a time of 24:42.53 as he finished in 20th place out of 141 runners. Senior Kevin Conlon finished the race shortly after Fowkes with a time of 24:46.01 and placed 23rd. 

Sophomore Jacob Heredia and sophomore Austin Brotemarkle both finished the race in the top 50, with Heredia finishing in 40th place with a time of 25:02.15 and Brotemarkle in 47th place with a time of 25:08.81. 

Graduate student Lucas Brown finished in 59th place with a time of 25:21.34 while graduate student Pat Castellano completed in 80th place, as he tallied a time of 25:48.39. Senior Pierce Kapustka finished his race not too long after Castellano, as he crossed the finish line in 83rd place with a time of 25:52.63. Freshman Brayden Bayek trailed right behind Kapustka, and Bayek finished with a time of 25:59.70, good for 90th place.

Freshman Joe Fahrney notched a time of 26:30.87 to finish in 111th place and freshman Cole McCue was the last Rev to cross the finish line as he finished with a final time of 26:57.52 in 119th place. 

Both teams will travel to Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, to race at the NCAA Mid-Atlantic Regional Nov. 11.