Driver strikes, kills cycling graduate student blocks from campus

Bicycles in a bike rack.

A driver struck and killed a graduate student who was riding his bicycle near campus last week.

The Metropolitan Police Department said in a release that Nijad Huseynov, a 24-year-old graduate student studying for a dual masters degree in computer science and data analytics from GW and ADA University, was killed after a silver 2014 Toyota Camry struck him while he was riding eastbound in the bike lane of the 1700 Block of L Street last Tuesday. The collision from the car ejected him from the bicycle and he was transported to a local hospital, where he died from his injuries Saturday.

The driver of the vehicle, who was driving northbound on Connecticut Avenue, stayed on the scene after the accident.

“ADA Community is deeply saddened by the loss of our student, Nijad Huseynov, who passed away after a tragic accident in Washington, DC,” a statement by ADA University reads.

A University spokesperson didn’t immediately return a request for comment.

Forty people have been killed in traffic accidents in the District this year as of Wednesday, according to MPD data — a 54 percent increase from the 26 traffic fatalities that occurred at this point last year.

Ward 2 Councilmember Brooke Pinto said in a statement that she sends her heartfelt condolences to Huseynov’s loved ones.

“I will continue working to ensure our streets are safe for all residents, especially cyclists and pedestrians,” Pinto said.

Another traffic incident involving a bicyclist and resulting in a minor injury occurred on April 14 at 1701 K Street, a block away from where Huseynov was struck, according to District data. One other District bicyclist has died in a traffic accident this year, which occurred at 900 Eastern Avenue in Northeast D.C. on July 3.