ANC welcomes Granberg to Foggy Bottom, West End community

Commissioners passed a resolution congratulating Ellen Granberg on the beginning of her term as the University’s 19th president.
Colin Wagner | Photographer
The Foggy Bottom and West End Advisory Neighborhood Commission’s October meeting in West End Library.

Updated: Oct. 23, 2023, at 9:02 p.m.

Members of a local governing body welcomed University President Ellen Granberg to the neighborhood during a meeting Wednesday.

The Foggy Bottom and West End Advisory Neighborhood Commission passed a resolution that congratulated Granberg on the beginning of her term as the University’s 19th president and recognized her commitment to maintaining GW’s presence and contributions to the community. Some commissioners said they  met with Granberg upon the start of her term and praised her goals for the University and the Foggy Bottom area.

Members also failed to consider a series of resolutions in support of D.C. Council bills for the fourth time since June.

Here are some of the meeting’s highlights:

Commissioners welcome Granberg to neighborhood

Commissioners voted 5-0-3 on a resolution welcoming Granberg to Foggy Bottom and West End, with three commissioners — Joel Causey, Evelyn Hudson and Jordan Nassar — abstaining from the vote because they were absent from the meeting.

The resolution states that Granberg has shown a desire to use the University as a “vehicle for social mobility” that contributes to the District, pledged to continue GW’s culture of public and community service, and will support academic partnerships with D.C. schools.

ANC 2A Chair Jim Malec said he met with Granberg “some time ago” and is pleased to support the resolution because she seems like a “fantastic addition” to the community and GW. 2A03 Commissioner Trupti Patel said Granberg was “truly delightful” when she met with commissioners and that she will be an “incredible asset” to the University.

“I can’t wait to see how GW explodes even more under her leadership,” Patel said.

The Board of Trustees will formally inaugurate Granberg on Nov. 3 at 11 a.m. in the Smith Center and invited all community members.

Commissioners approve redesign of Edward Kelly Park

Commissioners unanimously approved a resolution to make streetscape improvements in Edward Kelly Park at 21st and C streets.

The project will widen the sidewalks surrounding the park to a minimum of 10 feet and install new trees, benches, bike racks and retaining walls supporting the soil. The plan will also relocate the Capital Bikeshare station next to the park.

Jack Moyer, the senior project manager for the project from the architecture firm Shalom Baranes Associates, Architects, said the waterproofing and structure of a 1970s-era parking garage under the park and connects to the nearby Marriner S. Eccles Federal Reserve Board Building needs to be replaced. He said officials will temporarily remove the park’s plants and soil so officials can relieve the “overburden” over the garage.

“It will be replaced essentially as it is currently designed,” Moyer said.

Commissioners approve adding furniture to Immigrant Food

Commissioners unanimously approved a resolution that adds six seats, one table and two umbrellas to Immigrant Food’s unenclosed sidewalk cafe at 1701 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Peter Schechter — a co-founder of Immigrant Food, a restaurant that celebrates the role of immigrants in the U.S. and foreign food with three locations in D.C. — said the sidewalk cafe has existed since he and others opened the restaurant.

“We have a great gastronomy and a great kitchen,” Schechter said. “Our second beating heart is all about advocating and celebrating immigrants in our community.”

Efrat Tamary, a construction project manager working on behalf of Immigrant Food, advocated for additional furniture in the sidewalk cafe. She joined the meeting via Zoom from Tel Aviv, Israel because she was unable to get a flight back to the United States due to delays caused by the continuing violence in the region.

“We are in the middle of war here,” Tamary said. “I’m in a safe place right now.”

2A04 Commissioner Ed Comer said the sidewalk next to Immigrant Food is “extraordinarily wide” and has adequate space to fit additional furniture.

“It would be a real bonus for the city to have more people eating outside on the streets and neighborhoods,” Comer said.

Commissioners fail to consider D.C. Council bills again

Members were forced to adjourn early after Comer left the meeting due to a time constraint, bringing the number of commissioners present to four and below quorum.

The exit came before commissioners were to deliberate four resolutions in support of D.C. Council bills — three of which the ANC has delayed considering since July and one since June. Commissioners adjourned after Comer abruptly left the meeting Zoom call, preventing commissioners from voting on the resolutions.

Malec said Comer didn’t say he had to leave the meeting early in the two confirm calls commissioners held prior to the meeting to ensure there would be a quorum.

“Communicating things like this to the chairman, to the executive director are really important,” Malec said.

The ANC was considering resolutions in support of the Local Rent Supplement Program Eligibility Amendment Act of 2023, the Sexual Harassment Investigation Integrity Amendment Act of 2023, the Rent Stabilization Protection Amendment Act of 2023 and the Reparations Foundation Fund and Task Force Establishment Act of 2023. The D.C. Council has yet to hold an official vote on the bills.

The ANC first slated their consideration of the Reparations Foundation Fund and Task Force Establishment Act of 2023 for their June meeting, and set the rest to introduce during July’s meeting. Commissioners failed to reach quorum in July’s meeting and Patel, who introduced the resolutions, was not physically present in September’s meeting, stalling their consideration.

The ANC’s agenda also included an item considering the ANC’s fiscal year 2024 budget, which commissioners did not reach.

Commissioners will hold the next ANC meeting on Nov. 15 at 7 p.m. in West End Library.

This post was updated to clarify the following:

The Hatchet updated this post to clarify that Malec held two calls to confirm that commissioners would attend the meeting.