Democratic presidential candidate talks American economy, campaign initiatives

Marianne Williamson called for an array of economic policies including a wealth tax and an end to corporate subsidies.
Caroline Moore | Photographer
Marianne Williamson at the School of Media and Public Affairs.

A Democratic presidential candidate spoke about American economic issues at the School of Media and Public Affairs Tuesday. 

Marianne Williamson, an author and longshot presidential candidate, said the economy is the primary issue that the United States currently faces and pledged to implement an array of economic policies, including a wealth tax and the halt of corporate subsidies, as president. Williamson’s presidential campaign — which is $347,000 in debt, per a Politico report — hosted the event.

Williamson, the sole Democratic challenger to President Joe Biden, polls at 5 percent among Democratic voters, according to a Quinnipiac University poll. A letter from seven former campaign staffers states that the “hostile” work environment Williamson has fostered during her run for president caused staff resignations and terminations. 

Williamson said the country is at a moment of “great tumult.” She said Congress should cut taxes for the middle class, reduce the federal defense budget by 20 percent and called for subsidized child care, paid family leave, guaranteed sick pay and a guaranteed living wage — which she called all “moderate” ideas in other advanced democracies — as well as a trillion-dollar reparations plan for African American people.

“We all owe President Biden a debt of gratitude for defeating President Trump in 2020,” Williamson said. “But with the things that they’re going to be throwing at us in 2024, we need to submit to the American people an agenda of fundamental economic reform.”

She said it is “our turn” to make great change like Americans did during the Civil Rights and Suffrage Movements. Williamson said Democrats can’t win the presidency in 2024 by focusing on the negative aspects of Trump because he, like other “groups of desperate people,” represents a broader issue of “institutionalized corporate greed.” 

“Large groups of desperate people should be considered a national security risk and the world can see that now,” Williamson said.

Williamson also said she would work toward a two-state solution between Israel and Palestine and prioritize civilian safety as president. 

Hamas — a Palestinian militant group that the U.S. and the European Union designate as a terrorist organization  — attacked Israel earlier this month, leading Israel’s government to declare war on the group the day after and launch retaliatory airstrikes in Gaza. Since the attack, about 1,400 people in Israel and at least 4,137  people in Gaza have been killed as of Friday, according to a Reuters report.

Williamson said there is “no justification” for Hamas’s attack on Israel. She added that death in Gaza doesn’t differ from death in Israel and advocated against an Israeli invasion of Gaza. Israel’s defense minister, Yoav Gallant, told troops Thursday to “be ready” for an expected invasion of the region.

“There’s a lot of talk, ‘Israel is our ally, our highest alliance,'” Williamson said. “And if I’m President, our highest ally will be humanity itself.” 

President Biden delivered remarks pledging solidarity with Israelis in a visit to Tel Aviv Wednesday.

Williamson said protecting democracy in the U.S. is vital because it is not guaranteed. She said it is time for people to intervene to maintain democracy by voting for her, giving people an “actual alternative” for the presidency instead of Trump or Biden.

Williamson said people should treat challengers to the incumbent president, which she called historically commonplace, like any other candidate. 

She criticized the Democratic National Committee and Biden for not holding a Democratic presidential debate in a May op-ed for NewsweekAn incumbent president hasn’t participated in a primary debate since 1948, according to ABC.

“I believe that candidate suppression is a form of voter suppression,” Williamson said.

Williamson said, if she were to win the presidency, she would not seek re-election in 2028. 

“In 2028, a Baby Boomer should not be President.” Williamson said.