GW alum elected president of Ecuador

Noboa will become the youngest person to hold to position.
A+GW+campus+map.+
Kaiden Yu | Photographer
A GW campus map.

GW alum Daniel Noboa was elected president of Ecuador on Sunday in a runoff election.

Noboa will become Ecuador’s youngest president after leftist candidate and former National Secretary of Public Administration Luisa González conceded the runoff election. Noboa, a businessman and member of Ecuador’s Congress, earned a master’s degree in professional studies from the University in 2022 and studied political communication and strategic governance, according to a University release.

Noboa, who comes from one of the richest families in Latin America and is the heir to their banana business, achieved a position his father had previously run for five times. He rose to prominence in the election after a debate toward the end of the race, according to the New York Times.

Noboa will serve an 18-month interim term as president after the former president, Guillermo Lasso, dissolved parliament to avoid impeachment, which required an election be held within six months afterward, according to the Times report.

In his campaign, Noboa said he hopes to increase international investment in Ecuador, cut taxes and create jobs. Another part of Noboa’s campaign was increasing security within Ecuador after his fellow presidential candidate, Fernando Villavicencio, an outspoken critic of the drug cartel, was assassinated on the campaign trail in August.

Noboa is a center-right candidate and member of the National Democratic Action political movement, and he was elected to Ecuador’s congress in 2021 before the president dissolved the governing body. In a Reuters video of Noboa’s victory speech, Noboa said he wants to bring peace to families and progress to the country of Ecuador.

“Tomorrow we start work for this new Ecuador, to rebuild a country seriously battered by violence, by corruption, and by hate,” Noboa said in his speech.